• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CyberQ WiFi Web Service Info (Super Nerdy)

Will the new firmware increase the distance from house to smoker that can be used?
Has anyone confirmed how far these units will work?
If i purchase a unit and it wont connect, is there something i can add to increase the distance?
As you can see, no geek lives here.
I am hoping to monitor a smoker that is several hundred feet from the house and located on the opposite side of a barn under roof.
Is this something that is doable?
jon

There are things called "wifi repeaters", but they all need power. Is power available about halfway between your pit and your router?

Will the new firmware increase the distance from house to smoker that can be used?
Has anyone confirmed how far these units will work?
If i purchase a unit and it wont connect, is there something i can add to increase the distance?
As you can see, no geek lives here.
I am hoping to monitor a smoker that is several hundred feet from the house and located on the opposite side of a barn under roof.
Is this something that is doable?
jon

BBQ Remote App

Hi Everyone,

The latest version of BBQ Remote version 0.2 now supports the new firmware 1.1 security feature that will allow you to secure access to your Wifi Guru with a username and password.

http://www.appdesigngeeks.com/bbqguru/bbqremote.html

If you have already installed it please uninstall it and re install the latest version. If are interested in testing the beta version please email us your UDID if you have not already.

Please email appdesigngeeks@gmail.com

Thank You

There are things called "wifi repeaters", but they all need power. Is power available about halfway between your pit and your router?
There is power at house and at barn.
I hope to not disturb this great thread but i know there are some answers or individuals who might know here.
I have not made the purchase due to not knowing if it will meet my needs.
House is 400 ft to metal barn, smoker is on far side of barn.
Thanks for any help,
jon

Do you have a laptop(any wifi device) you could take out there and place next to your smoker? If so, how strong is the wifi signal to your laptop(device)?

There is power at house and at barn.
I hope to not disturb this great thread but i know there are some answers or individuals who might know here.
I have not made the purchase due to not knowing if it will meet my needs.
House is 400 ft to metal barn, smoker is on far side of barn.
Thanks for any help,
jon

So I had my CyberQ all hooked up in infrastructure mode (Thanks to Damian at BBQ Guru) and decided that because Damian said there might be a problem with my old router, went out and bought a new Apple Airport Extreme router. Well now, I cant connect yet again. There is no way to hook up in ad hoc(not sure why) so if any of you brethren on here want to help out a real simpleton, let me know. I thank you in advance.

Try holding all 4 arrow keys down onto it resets to factory defaults, router should have no effect on Adhoc mode, but perhaps you changed other security stuff

Repeter

I had to add a repeter to help me . With out the repeter my CyberQ wifi was droping now I can have my pit up to 200 yards away with no promblem. You can add a outdoor repeter and that should give you more distance.

Try holding all 4 arrow keys down onto it resets to factory defaults, router should have no effect on Adhoc mode, but perhaps you changed other security stuff

Yeah, I cant even get in ad hoc mode. tried several times. should have never "up graded" my router. I should have just left well enough alone.:oops:

Last edited:
Yeah, I cant even get in ad hoc mode. tried several times. should have never "up graded" my router. I should have just left well enough alone.:oops:

update to 1.1 worked for me. Windows 7. Followed instructions included with 1.1 ZIP download.
  • 1.1 works for me. :shocked:
  • Ad Hoc works for me. :grin:
  • Infrastructure mode still a mystery as to why it does not work for me. :cry:

Ad hoc mode is direct between your computer and the Guru. The router isn't involved in that, so upgrading the router won't impact that.

Android version ready for Pre-Release.

So I've been working on this thing on-off for a few weeks now, never really happy with it but I read an article today titled F**k it, Shipt It (sorry for the language, I hope the ** are ok?). So in the spirit of the article, I'm shipping it.

I will warn you, this version WILL stop working on 9/14. I plan to continue working on it so as long as you don't mind updating it it shouldn't be an issue. It is NOT posted on the android market so if you want to use it you will have to allow other sources.

It is hosted on Google Code Projects,
http://code.google.com/p/cyberq-wifi-monitor/

You are welcome to go there and look through the docs, screen shots are here,
http://code.google.com/p/cyberq-wifi-monitor/wiki/Overview

Or you can just download it.

Currently it will NOT update the cyberq with setpoints, but it does have alarms built it for each probe, this is what I mostly use it for. I can set a high/low value and it will scream like a banshee when one is hit (click on the gauge of the probe to access). If you don't like the alarm it's using the default sound you have assigned to alarms like the alarm clock.

There is no current plan to provide graphs. Rick has that one pretty well covered with his windows app. This is only tested with the .8 firmware. I have not yet installed the 1.0 version on mine. However unless they changed the format of the status.xml it should work fine. I know it has some issues you can read about them on the google page. If you notice anything else or want to offer suggestions I'm all ears. I will say however I am NOT a UI developer, but I am a java programmer/enterprise architect by trade, they just mainly lock me in the back room to design/develop the web services, not the clients, you've been warned!

Enjoy,
Chad

Tested it today with the 1.1 firmware, everything seems to work the same as it should since the status.xml didn't change. Going to start adding in the ability to update the cyberq as well.

update to 1.1 worked for me.
Infrastructure mode still a mystery as to why it does not work for me. :cry:

If you are accepting requests for app functionality, consider a request for automated or near automated infrastructure set-up.

BBQ Remote App Updates

Hi Everyone,

There is now a webportal where registered users can view a detailed graph and history of all of their cooks.

http://appdesigngeeks.com/appdesign/bbqguru/myAccount.php

We have all fixed the loading time when the app first connects. All updates to current beta versions and notes can be found here.

http://appdesigngeeks.com/appdesign/bbqguru/bbqremote.html

If anyone has any questions/feeback/enhancement requests please contact me or email appdesigngeeks@gmail.com

Any chance Palm has released the new windows app yet?

I am loving the android app Chad!!!!

Good deal, I'm actually working on it right now, adding the ability to manage the Control and System settings from the app. Might rework the alarms. Have you tried those out yet? They are independent of the ones in the cyberq but I might enable alarms based on their Alarm Dev. Really I'm open to suggestions. I noticed a few little bugs, I didn't enable the cook/food status right so if you hit your setpoints the app may crash, fixing that now as well. This 1.1 interface is SO much nicer to work with! MAJOR props to BBQ Guru for listening to their end users, only makes their product more attractive when developers can easily access the data, I question their skills as writing xml, but whatever, it works.

Yes the new version is ready. I have a couple of other users who have tested it. Here are the temporary instructions to use until I update my website.

The controller needs to be reset to default and in adhoc mode before installing the firmware. Press all 4 direction buttons at the same time for 5 or more seconds. It will display a message that it is resetting.

I suggest that you make a screen shot or note all the settings you have first to make it easier after the upgrade.
There are instructions in the attached CyberQ Wifi doc for the upgrade. I don’t want to give you any tips now because I want to see if the instructions are clear enough. But if you get stuck, let me know 

**** Save your cooks to excel as this new version’s database is incompatible with v1****
After the firmware upgrade, un-install my app first before installing v2.0.0.5.

***********READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST*************
***********READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST*************

Download the firmware and new user guide.
http://wedonet.net/Files/CyberQ_WiFi_USER_GUIDE_REV1.5_For_V1.1_Firmware.zip

Download my windows application.
http://wedonet.net/Files/CyberQWifiController_20120803_v2.0.0.5.zip

Let me know how it goes.

Rick

Yes, Chad thanks. Haven't tried it yet, but looking froward to running it on my android tablet.

Good deal, I'm actually working on it right now, adding the ability to manage the Control and System settings from the app. Might rework the alarms. Have you tried those out yet? They are independent of the ones in the cyberq but I might enable alarms based on their Alarm Dev. Really I'm open to suggestions. I noticed a few little bugs, I didn't enable the cook/food status right so if you hit your setpoints the app may crash, fixing that now as well. This 1.1 interface is SO much nicer to work with! MAJOR props to BBQ Guru for listening to their end users, only makes their product more attractive when developers can easily access the data, I question their skills as writing xml, but whatever, it works.

Back