• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A little overnight pork action (pics)

PatioDaddio

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Here are some pics from last night's overnight pork practice cook. It had been a long, long time since I'd cooked a picnic and I found them on sale at $0.99/lb. I'm not one to look gift hog in the face so...

PorkPicnic123108_1.jpg

PorkPicnic123108_2.jpg

PorkPicnic123108_3.jpg

PorkPicnic123108_4.jpg

I fed the family sammie's like that on Xmas eve, now I'm ready for more. Looks very good. What about details? Like what kind of smoker did you use, did you spritz with apple juice, ect, ect, ect, we like details.

I dont usually do the picnic but I love the looks of one.

I fed the family sammie's like that on Xmas eve, now I'm ready for more. Looks very good. What about details? Like what kind of smoker did you use, did you spritz with apple juice, ect, ect, ect, we like details.
It was 9.5lb and I didn't trim it a bit. I seasoned it with a liberal mix of my mild and bold rubs (not for sale yet :-D).

It took 16 hours on the WSM using Kingsford briquettes. For smoke I used three chunks of cherry and some Jack Daniels chips (I was out of hickory). The weather was pretty decent (low 40's) with a little rain in the middle of the cook.

I wrapped it at 175*, and pulled it 192*. I mopped with white grape juice three or four times toward the end of the cook unwrapped portion of the cook. I also added about 1/2 cup of juice when I wrapped it.

Lastly, I mopped it with a little honey and foil juice to gloss the bark.

John

That is a nice looking picnic. Do you remove the skin, partially or leave it as is?

That is a nice looking picnic. Do you remove the skin, partially or leave it as is?
I left the skin as it was in the cryo. I simply scored it down to the meat in a crosshatch pattern to let some of the seasoning and smoke through.

I cooked it skin-side-down for the entire cook. My thought here is that the skin acts as a barrier and helps keep the moisture in the meat, as picnics are less moist than butts.

John

Back