question for you stickburners!

cardiac_cadet002

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
In my offset, I plan on using a bed of coal then adding sticks for fuel. My question is will I still need to add unheated wood for flavor, such as cherry, hickory, etc. or will the wood I'm using as fuel impart a smokey flavor? KC Quers roadmap answered all my questions on how to get started, 'cept this one:-D

Well, I USED to be a stick burner till I got old and lazy, so I can help. But yes, the wood you use for fuel is both your heat source AND your source of smokey flavor. You could combine woods just like you would using wood chunks with charcoal, like half hickory for a stronger smokey flavor and half fruit wood for a lighter flavor. I typically would just use a fruit wood, mainly wild cherry cause it grows locally here. I see you're in Tennesee, so hickory will be plentiful, plus I'm sure you can get some wild cherry here and there.

It helps to preheat your wood, so if your offset has a flat firebox top, just lay your wood on top and let it heat there.

Yep - what Saiko said.

And...
It helps to preheat your wood, so if your offset has a flat firebox top, just lay your wood on top and let it heat there.

Don't forget to keep an eye on your 'pre-heating' - it will busrt into flame while you're in the bathroom! :rolleyes:

Don't forget to keep an eye on your 'pre-heating' - it will busrt into flame while you're in the bathroom! :rolleyes:

Yeppers, been there and done that. :-D

Also, I forgot to add. I don't know if you have a good source of wood, but if not, make friends with the tree service guys in your area. They have to haul off everything they cut, and usually don't mind at all if you swing by and take some off their hands. Tell them you'll cook them up some que now and then if they will help you out.

Thx guys for the advice. I do have plenty of wood out in the back 40, so thats no prob. I'll be sure to set the pit by the bathroom window to keep an eye on things :p

When I had mine, I used oak and hickory logs (you need to get in contact with a local tree guy or a firewood guy...they are the best sources for wood). You will get the heat and the smoke you are looking for, no doubt.

Cardiac, I meant to ask you earlier, what kind of wood do you currently have available?

Wow, you are golden then! Experiment around with different combinations and see what you like best. The only time I use all hickory is when I do pork shoulder, I like a real deep smokey flavor in pulled pork. I prefer the taste of stick burners to be honest, I just don't have as much time to tend a fire and clean out smokers as I used to. Make sure you take some pics when you fire it up!

We're very blessed here in TN on wood selection, for sure. Try peach or pear sometime, too, if you can find it, and musacadine vines with coal work well, too. I'm a hickory guy, myself, tho I am partial to applewood with birds. Like others here, I am getting lazier as I age, and so I started recently cheating with charcoal to start, then firing hickory the rest of the way.

My Alabama BBQ mentor soaks cured wood in water for a few hours (up to a day) before use. Helps keep it smoking and not flaring.

My Alabama BBQ mentor soaks cured wood in water for a few hours (up to a day) before use. Helps keep it smoking and not flaring.

You sure we are talking about stick burning here? The whole idea of preheating wood on a stick burner is because you WANT it to burst into flame right away instead of smoldering, this helps prevent the formation of creosote. You are going to get plenty of smoke flavor anyway just burning wood, don't know why you'd want to soak anything. Just my humble opinion.

Well you adopt me? LOL

I've seen your food pron, Of course I'll adopt you! I get tired of doing all the cookin round here anyway!
Thanks, it's nice to be wanted...

We're very blessed here in TN on wood selection, for sure. Try peach or pear sometime, too, if you can find it, and musacadine vines with coal work well, too. I'm a hickory guy, myself, tho I am partial to applewood with birds. Like others here, I am getting lazier as I age, and so I started recently cheating with charcoal to start, then firing hickory the rest of the way.

You sure we are talking about stick burning here? The whole idea of preheating wood on a stick burner is because you WANT it to burst into flame right away instead of smoldering, this helps prevent the formation of creosote. You are going to get plenty of smoke flavor anyway just burning wood, don't know why you'd want to soak anything. Just my humble opinion.
I agree. I really try to keep my wood dry to avoid the dreaded white smoke syndrom!

Back