First product from new WSM - Turkey of course

Erle

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My thanks to PatioDaddy for his superb turkey brine and instructions.

New WSM 18.5 arrived yesterday. I originally intended to follow Harry Soo's seasoning instructions and smoke the bird on my kettle as I have always done. But the WSM was holding rock solid at 310... I started the initial burn at 8 AM with a full load of Kingsford and assumed it would last for 4 to 5 hours. Well it was time to put the bird on and I couldn't resist the temptation to put it on the top rack - so I did.

I tossed in a couple of chunks of Apple and one of cherry on for some character closed the lid and let her go. 3.5 hours later the thickest part of the thigh was at 165, so I pulled it, wrapped it in foil and let it rest for 1.5 hours. It came out incredibly well. A tender, juicy and delicious bird by the family's view. We prepared a typical bird in case my first effort did not go well. Well the leftovers tell the tale: none of the typical bird was touched. Everyone went for the smoked turkey. Lesson taken.

Just out of curiosity I let the WSM keep going to see what the finishing trajectory would look like. It's still going strong at 256F as the Cowboys are kicking off. Started with a full ring load. Very impressed with this WSM that wil only get better as it's seasoning progresses.

Happy thanksgiving to all the brethren and their families!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 95
Nice looking bird, but someone left a baseball inside of it :confused:

:-D

You could use a BBQ log till you get used to your WSM. Outdoor ambient temp and wind being big factors. Even direct sunlight.

Looks like you Nailed it! Great looking Bird! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your Family.

2w6s0hh.jpg

Back