Stinky Ribs

amv81

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, I got 2 three packs of ribs from my local Sams club this past week, both in cryovac. I opened them up and they stink... like sulfur or something almost rotten. This is the second time i have run in to this problem, and at $30 plus dollars a pack it kind of pisses me off. The cryovac was tight against the ribs so the seal was not broken and they didn't look too bad. Has anybody else ran into this and what is making the ribs stink, or is it just my keen canine nose at work?

I have had the same thing with ribs from Wally World. I think it was the solution that is in the package. I could be wrong though. I just rinsed em off and they still came out fine. No foul taste or anything.

It happens. Rinse them off and let them sit a few minutes. The odor should dissipate. If not, I'd take them back.

I don't do ribs very often, but what I have found is that the enhanced stuff like ribs, butts, loins, etc.........all have the off smell. I attribute it to the solution. After a good rinsing, they smell is gone. If the cryo wrap was tight, then they couldn't really have been spoiled.

Most pork often stinks when you remove it from the cryo, Boshizzle has the answer in the way I handle it. Rinse them off and let them set for a while and see if the smell dissipates, after that if in doubt throw them out (return them).

This happened to me a few weeks ago with the 3 packs from sam's, which have no solution in them. I wrapped them up and took them back.

a slightly funky smell is normal with meats packed in cryovac, it is due to the bacterial action inside the cryovac. it is normal and a simple rinse should take care it.

(this will occur whether they are enhanced or not)

:thumb:

I agree that all cryovac meats have a smell to them, but when it rotten, you'll know.

Cryovac meats should not have a smell to them. If I buy some, open them up to any smell they go into the freezer until I return them.

I have had cryovac ribs smell so bad my wife smelled them two rooms away in 10 seconds! The smell didn't leave my kitchen for almost 6-8 hours.

I rinsed them and cooked them thinking the smell would cook out, and it never did. I took them back.

So sometimes you can get a bad rack, and the date on these was a long time away. I just thought the smell was because they were really fresh. But since it didn't cook out, I wasn't going to eat them.

I have had cryovac ribs smell so bad my wife smelled them two rooms away in 10 seconds! The smell didn't leave my kitchen for almost 6-8 hours.

I rinsed them and cooked them thinking the smell would cook out, and it never did. I took them back.

So sometimes you can get a bad rack, and the date on these was a long time away. I just thought the smell was because they were really fresh. But since it didn't cook out, I wasn't going to eat them.

I rinsed, waited, rubbed and smoked a funky smelling rack and I couldn't eat them.

There was still a funky tinge to the flavor. They were well within their sell by date

So, has anyone had that issue with spares or just baby backs. All of mine were bb's. Also the store is about 15 miles away so with the price of diesel I'm out $10 just in fuel taking them back.

Mine were full, untrimmed spares. But I've only had this issue really bad once. I have had bad smelling ribs one other time, but they weren't as bad.

Here is my $0.02 worth.....

I have had the same problem with Sam's Club ribs.... so far, I have been able to rinse them, and let sit for a few minutes and it would go away... I attributed it to the blood in the pack... Am I right or wrong??? I don't know either..... btw, I usually by the spares and cut to ST. Louis style, so can't say about the BB's.....

I bought a case from Restaurant Depot and have not had the problem... so, is it just Sam's ribs???? RD has IBP and Sam's has Smithfield... The only problem for me is the nearest RD is abt 2 hrs away.... so for a 4 hr drive it isn't worth it just for a pack of ribs... so when I do go, I buy a case of ribs and a case of butts and......

I would suggest, rinse good and see if it goes away. If so, like I said, I chalk it up to blood... if it doesn't go away, I would bite the bullet, take them back, and insist that this is NOT the first time, and it will be the last and open up another pack before you leave the store... if it stinks, leave it with them, and then after opening up a bunch and still stinking, insist on a full refund and leave then with ALL the open packages.... :mrgreen:

Back