Holding food question

Smoke&HoneyBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Been screwing around with different ways to keep food hot in the cambro (ok the cheap Carlisle because I am poor).

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had played around with lining a full hotel pan with a towel, heating up fire bricks in the smoker/grill, putting a couple in the pan, and using that to pre-heat and provide at supplemental heat in the cambro. Rotate them out every couple of hours or so.

I really am trying to think of easier ways than pots of hot water that take awhile to bring up to a boil using our hot plates.

How long are you trying to hold meat for? Never had a cambo not hold long enough.. If we need them to hold longer than 8 hours, we have primed them with some hot water first just to warm them up.. but they've always held long enough for comps by themselves.

I'm cheaper yet and use a Coleman X-treme 70 cooler. If I have the need to warm it up I put a small portable heater in it & close the lid most of the way (power cord keeps it open a little). Cheers!!!

How long are you trying to hold meat for? Never had a cambo not hold long enough.. If we need them to hold longer than 8 hours, we have primed them with some hot water first just to warm them up.. but they've always held long enough for comps by themselves.

4-5 hours.

Is your cambro full?

Our tests have been done in 70 degree weather too.

I'm cheaper yet and use a Coleman X-treme 70 cooler. If I have the need to warm it up I put a small portable heater in it & close the lid most of the way (power cord keeps it open a little). Cheers!!!

not sure that is legal...

i've held brisket and butts in the same cooler for 6+ hours. still too hot to handle without gloves.

i don't think you need to mess with the carlisle.

not sure that is legal...

I should have clarified. Preheat with a heater... Not after the meat is in the cooler. Cheers!!!

I wouldnt worry too much about preheating a cambro...the residual heat from butts and or briskets will heat it plenty. That being said i do not like cambros for holding meat we generally wrap in thick blankets which allow the heat to slowly escape, and due to our process we only hold for maybe 2-3 hours at most.

I wouldnt worry too much about preheating a cambro...the residual heat from butts and or briskets will heat it plenty. That being said i do not like cambros for holding meat we generally wrap in thick blankets which allow the heat to slowly escape, and due to our process we only hold for maybe 2-3 hours at most.

Alright might change my theory around then.

Definitely going to need the cambro because we have two large coolers and both will be needed for cold stuff and why we are bringing the camrbo.

What I may do then is just wrap the meat in towels and shove it in after venting of course.

We have no need to preheat the cambro or carlisle. I just try to rest big meats 10-15 minutes before going in, and either use the cambro vent, or line the carlisle door up so some steam can escape. Either work well with no need for any other heat source.

Back