• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pit grilling in the winter

mdk2176

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a in ground pit that I built a couple years ago. I have only used it in the summer and it works great. I would like to cook thanksgiving turkey in the pit this year. The ground is not frozen, but the temps for next week are supposed to be below freezing. Has anyone here ever pit grilled in freezing temps? Any advice would be great. Thanks

Shouldn't be an issue at all as long as you maintain consistent grill temps. Are you going indirect or direct?

For a traditional ground pit the main issue would be to get it hot early and keep it that way though out the cook period. I'd start early and with a big fire to heat things up. Good luck.

You might also want something to cover your bird with. A big kettle lid would work.

I've never done much cooking on in-ground pits, but wish you luck with your turkey! It sounds like quite an adventure! Please post pics, I'd love to see it

Ooooo! Do it! The big fire started early sounds like good advice to me.

Got any pics of the pit? Love to see it.

If you're talking about an underground pit, I've used them in the winter. Just make sure you burn enough wood to have a good deep hot coal bed to last through the cook.
If you mean an inground pit with the racks above the fire, just leave the ends of the pit open to be able to add more wood if needed.

That's a great looking pit! Just added another thing on my "To Build" list. Just what I needed:roll: Good luck with the bird, looking forward to some pics.

That's KICK ARSE!
:clap:

I just saw an episode of "Man, Fire, Food" recently where they used a pit like that. Sort of a "barbacoa" eh?

Good luck with the turkey. POST PRON!

Great looking pit! Waiting on the turkey pron. :wink:

Back