Trimmed pork collars

Wow.. never dreamed the board meeting went on for so long.
4 hours in to the mp3 you can find their answer.
The original motion was pulled and they decided to adopt the american cut standards.
I'm starting the download now. Does your comment mean that the collar is not legal? Seems like American Standard does not include it from all these comments above.

And I listened in on one that went until after 12:30 CST and started at 7:00

They will be putting out a Rep advisory as well as an article in the bullsheet.. But the idea I got was that the cut you start with must be an american standard Whole Shoulder, Butt or Picnic. I believe it will handle the descrepancy in differing terms such as Boston Butt, Pork Butt, and Shoulder Butt. They would all be legal because they are all the same cut by american standards.
Their issue seemed to be that a collar, being from a european cut shoulder is broken on a different rib which gives it a couple extra inches of money muscle.

SRF collars were discussed and they would appear to be illegal from this point forward if they are indeed broken in european fashion.

It may put the ball in their court to prove that they are indeed breaking the primal in the correct place.

My understanding is that if you start with a legal US shoulder, you could create the same type of cut to cook and be legal, but that the emphasis was on the idea that the collar SRF is selling does include extra loin(money muscle) thus making it illegal.

I may have misunderstood some of the finer points and I guess we will all have to wait for the official word... I believe it will be in the next BullSheet.

They will be putting out a Rep advisory as well as an article in the bullsheet.. But the idea I got was that the cut you start with must be an american standard Whole Shoulder, Butt or Picnic. I believe it will handle the descrepancy in differing terms such as Boston Butt, Pork Butt, and Shoulder Butt. They would all be legal because they are all the same cut by american standards.
Their issue seemed to be that a collar, being from a european cut shoulder is broken on a different rib which gives it a couple extra inches of money muscle.

SRF collars were discussed and they would appear to be illegal from this point forward if they are indeed broken in european fashion.

It may put the ball in their court to prove that they are indeed breaking the primal in the correct place.

My understanding is that if you start with a legal US shoulder, you could create the same type of cut to cook and be legal, but that the emphasis was on the idea that the collar SRF is selling does include extra loin(money muscle) thus making it illegal.

I may have misunderstood some of the finer points and I guess we will all have to wait for the official word... I believe it will be in the next BullSheet.

I listened, and the board agreed to adopt the definitions as proposed by the pork board. There is also a rep advisory that will go out.

Now to me that says you better show up with a cut that's approved. I also understand, that somebody is still going to show up with a collar that's either inspected or in their backup cooler and as long as they don't get caught they will cook it. At this point, it's on the cooks to police themselves.

Speaking for myself, I received a pork collar that I ordered to see what the difference was. What I got was not a traditional butt, and it did contain additional meat that I believe could lead to a competitive advantage.

Any word from the BOD?

It's in the podcast available to members. Standard US cuts as defined by the pork board are legal.

I listened, and the board agreed to adopt the definitions as proposed by the pork board. There is also a rep advisory that will go out.

Now to me that says you better show up with a cut that's approved. I also understand, that somebody is still going to show up with a collar that's either inspected or in their backup cooler and as long as they don't get caught they will cook it. At this point, it's on the cooks to police themselves.

Speaking for myself, I received a pork collar that I ordered to see what the difference was. What I got was not a traditional butt, and it did contain additional meat that I believe could lead to a competitive advantage.

It's in the podcast available to members. Standard US cuts as defined by the pork board are legal.

So, a Boneless Butt Collar Trim over 5lbs is legal if it is cut and wrapped in the US?

Check out this weekly advertisement:

http://www.uwajimaya.com/weeklyspecials.html

Center cut Kurobata Pork Butt $5.99 lb.

I know of 60 cases of Boneless Pork Butt Collar Trim that is destined for Hot Pots in the Seattle area this week!

Wonder how they label it if you were to ask for the whole Butt? 5 pounds please!

So, a Boneless Butt Collar Trim over 5lbs is legal if it is cut and wrapped in the US?

Doesn't matter where it's cut...matters how it's cut.
If the boneless butt collar trim is cut from a regulation US pork shoulder, it should be fine.

Might be best to confirm with the processor how it's being butchered. The name doesn't make it illegal. The cutting process might.

I think it does matter. Unless you show up with a whole front leg of a pig. Then it's not the shoulder, butt or picnic... Because that is the only way to get a US recognized pork collar. This is not Europe...

Again, this is splitting hairs, which the board has ruled on. I wish anyone luck if they are turned in. I will have no problem at all calling folks out that want to play this game.

If the boneless butt collar trim is cut from a regulation US pork shoulder, it should be fine.

Might be best to confirm with the processor how it's being butchered. The name doesn't make it illegal. The cutting process might.

Bingo. It's either the cut established by the pork board or it isn't. Collar trim is not established, and WAS NOT approved by the BoD.

I'm not directing this at swamprb or anyone else. It's amazing to me that now that we've had a decision the responsibility is actually on the teams that want to make certain that they stay within the rules!:shock::roll: I don't think I'd want to show up with a butt, that I hadn't inspected to make certain that it was within the rules. I'd be surprised if anything other than a legal cut came out of the cryo, but I wouldn't want to find out during inspection.

Anybody else still completely confused by this or is it just me? My question is, what should my pork label say so I don't get DQ'd?

My brother is also a butcher and breaks down all our meats for us, what do I tell him: "Make sure you are cutting it at this rib and not this one." He's been butchering and working in a slaughterhouse for 20 years, if he cuts his shoulders that way does that mean he is now all of a sudden wrong?

I believe this is the site that was mentioned as establishing the butchering guidlines.
http://www.porkfoodservice.com/
If he butchers according to these guidlines, it's legal.. if not, it's not.

If you want to be safe with the "collar trimmed butt", Show up with full butts in their cryopacs and trim it down to whatever cut you wish as long as it's 5lbs still.

That in no way circumvents the rules as I understand them..

It needs to follow the National Pork Board says is an American cut. Not a European cut, which includes the collar

Anybody else still completely confused by this or is it just me? My question is, what should my pork label say so I don't get DQ'd?

My brother is also a butcher and breaks down all our meats for us, what do I tell him: "Make sure you are cutting it at this rib and not this one." He's been butchering and working in a slaughterhouse for 20 years, if he cuts his shoulders that way does that mean he is now all of a sudden wrong?

Not to start a disagreement. But I think you need to listen to the entire Board Meeting. This cut is not recognized by the National Pork Board, which is the standard that the KCBS BOD are following. They are not recognizing the pork collar cut. So if you even have a specialty butcher cut it, it is still illegal....

But I'll let folks find that out themselves when they are busted and banned from the KCBS...

I believe this is the site that was mentioned as establishing the butchering guidlines.

If you want to be safe with the "collar trimmed butt", Show up with full butts in their cryopacs and trim it down to whatever cut you wish as long as it's 5lbs still.

Don't think that's the site. Can't remember the exact name but it's the national pork board or something like that. An yway when the minutes are published it will be there. Next KCBS contest at the cooks meeting the reps should mention the new advisory as well.

And all you can cook is whole shoulder, picnic or butt and according to the US standards the "collar meat" is not part of one of these cuts.

it is the National Pork Board Ford.. I''ve got it on my computer now listening to this part again...

They better specify item numbers and not names...
If you get Item No. 403A - Pork Shoulder, Long Cut... then you have the extra meat and it is a STD cut. The description says nothing about it being for export.

Don't believe that one is going to be legal. I really hope when they come out with the official word it includes the numbers as well as the verbage. I'm under the assumption that the long cut will not be legal, only the regular cut.

Not to start a disagreement. But I think you need to listen to the entire Board Meeting. This cut is not recognized by the National Pork Board, which is the standard that the KCBS BOD are following. They are not recognizing the pork collar cut. So if you even have a specialty butcher cut it, it is still illegal....

But I'll let folks find that out themselves when they are busted and banned from the KCBS...

I guess the American version would be a Boneless Butt Cellar Trimmed 407 cut. I don't care if they call it a fruit loop cut. It it comes from a Standard 403 pork shoulder, it's fine.

Anyone else notice SRF is still selling 4lb Pork Collars?

Back