Small Weber Pizza Mod

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Inspired by martyleach's WGA pizza mod and lacking Marty's building skills, I decided to try a "pizza mod for dummies" on my WGA.

My goal was to make it easy to build, easy to remove, and try to keep the cost reasonable.

Here's what I came up with:

IMG_2820.jpg

The 1/4" hex nuts are a snug fit between the bars on the WGA cooking grate so the set up is really pretty stable.

While the baking stones were heating up over some briquettes, I started prepping pizzas (about 8" diameter). Just some simple pepperoni & mushroom pies:

IMG_2833.jpg

Checked the temp of the stones and found about a 200 degree difference in my stones with the bottom hotter than the top:

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

In my initial tests I found I needed a little more heat up top and could do with a little less on the bottom so I swap the stones right before putting the pizza on:

IMG_2836.jpg

5-6 minutes in I rotate the pizza to account for any hot spots. Another 5-6 minutes and the pizza is done:

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

I made 5 pizzas total. Here's another one:

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

Once I was done cooking, I pulled out the raised CI grid and the stones to cool (yes, my stones look pretty ugly).

IMG_2846.jpg

30 minutes later they were cool enough to hold with my hands:

IMG_2848.jpg

I did this on my WGA but the approach should work fine on a Smokey Joe with some kind of raised round grid.

The cost for this mod was cheap for me (just the stainless hardware) as I already had the pizza stones and cast iron grid.

If I had to build this set up from scratch:

- 8 1/2" diameter baking stones from Amazon (Old Stone Oven 4444 Pizza for Two 8 1/2 Inch) - $27.79 (qualifies for free Super Saver shipping)
- cast iron grid from chargriller - $7.99 (not sure about shipping cost)
- SS Hex Nuts 1/4" - 20 size, qty 12 - $3.54 (from Home Depot)
- SS Washers 1/4", qty 12 - $2.36 (from HD)
- SS Machine Screws 1/4" - 20 x 3", qty 4, - $2.36 (from HD)

$44.04 before tax or any shipping charges. A pizza peel and pizza screens are very helpful as well but I don't really count them as part of the mod.

Last edited:
Clever mod and beautiful ZA! I have been forum searching and mulling over all of the Weber pizza options....trying to figure out what rout I am going to try. I just ordered the Red Sky stone. I am loving your results though!

Nicely done. The setup and the pies. I love pizza and have been wanting to do something like this myself for quite a while. Thanks for sharing!

Very clever solution John. That is just way too easy for me. If I can't cut it or weld it I'm not doin' it....
Really nice looking pies~!

Back