• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Uds

J

jlstetler1989

Ok i have found some barrels but they contained motor oil. Do you guys think that its possible to burn that stuff out of them?

im trying to keep the price down thats the only reason i wanna try this. The barrels are only 8 bucks a piece so thats nice

Could you use the engine/wheel cleaner at the car wash then blast it with the rinse cycle? I'm sorta in your same situation jlstetler

People laugh at me but good old tide mixed heavy in warm water cuts a lot of stuff.

yes im a firm believer of that too NO how would i get enough hot water to wash two barrels though?

No problem. Mine had 10w30 in it. I got a lot of wood and burned the living daylights out of it. Make sure you cut the intake holes in the bottom so it can breathe when you burn.

ok but im making a double barrel smoker so would that metod work too SCPossum

No problem. Mine had 10w30 in it. I got a lot of wood and burned the living daylights out of it. Make sure you cut the intake holes in the bottom so it can breathe when you burn.

Not a soak, just a mix and pour a little and brush. then rinse. Leave cans in sun to heat up before and after.

Sorry, didn't read close enough. That was my UDS. Let's change gears...On my double barrel smoker, one of the barrels still had a coating of light oil in it. I stoked the bottom barrel with wood and let it go. I wish I had a pic, it smoked up the whole neighborhood. I thought someone was going to call the fire department. Anyway, it burned off really good and then I scrubbed it down with some steel wool and really rough sandpaper. Then I washed it out and coated it with some vegetable oil and burned it again with a slower burn.

Forgot to add the barrels were already assembled when I picked mine up. They were already double stacked and welded together by two pipes between them.

Another thought, if you have a propane fish cooker, put the barrel on top of it and fill it with some water. Start it up and when it gets hot, start scrubbing!

ok well im gunna put it together and burn the heck out of both of them and do what you said SCPossum. If anyone else has imputs feel free to add on.

Back