Freezing Meat

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know that people have done well with frozen briskets, but what about ribs, pork butt, and chicken? Seems that butt would be fine, but not so sure about ribs, and less so with chicken.

I would love to buy a few cases of ribs, trim them all, and repack for contests.

I would be vac sealing and freezing meat that has not been previously frozen.

I don't mind freezing pork/ribs for catering, but not for contest. I always try to get as fresh as possible. I try to buy as close to the contest as possible.

I believe that you should never freeze meat. You can tell the difference especially on ribs. We used frozen ribs for a comp once and they were garbage. The best chefs in the world didn't get where they are freezing, fresh is best. IMO

We normally purchase our ribs and butts by the case and keep frozen until cooked. Chicken is always bought fresh.

I believe that you should never freeze meat. You can tell the difference especially on ribs. We used frozen ribs for a comp once and they were garbage. The best chefs in the world didn't get where they are freezing, fresh is best. IMO

I better give all my awards back then. Because all I use are frozen PSF ribs.... :icon_smil

the only thing I don't freeze are butts Pat. I think it changes the texture of the meat.

But that is all the info I am giving you... As I know you are still taking notes.... :twisted::twisted:

Thanks for the replies. I've cooked frozen briskets and frozen ribs and not noticed any difference. I don't think I'm the best "taster" so I appreciate others opinions. I suppose it also depends on how long you have the meat frozen, and the way it is packaged while freezing.

Fresh is best, but I've been buying in bulk and freezing for years. Just make sure you rotate the stuff in your freezer, and I would highly recommend repackaging and vacuum sealing everything.

While Smithfield purchased PSF, the quality of the 2 companies are not quite the same. PSF product is far superior in quality than Smithfield...

While Smithfield purchased PSF, the quality of the 2 companies are not quite the same. PSF product is far superior in quality than Smithfield...

I might have to bite off of that. I have used duroc and berkshire, never PSF. I will be ordering. I knew I could pry info out of you!!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

They don't make them anymore though.... Which is why I get them frozen...

and berkshire, :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I have heard that these are the Rolls Royce of ribs...But I though that about Smithfield! Cant get Smithfield here on West Coast. Have cooked them a couple of times when I have been at my Uncles farm in VA. Would love to taste these PSF's!

I have heard that these are the Rolls Royce of ribs...But I though that about Smithfield! Cant get Smithfield here on West Coast. Have cooked them a couple of times when I have been at my Uncles farm in VA. Would love to taste these PSF's!

They are super meaty. I would say without one in front of me the thickest ribs get up to about 1.5 to 2 inches thick.

Back