How much pancake syrup... ?

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm coordinating a pancake breakfast for my Masonic lodge in December. We're planning on serving about 125 people. I've figured out most of the quantities of food that I want to buy, but syrup has got me stumped.

From past breakfasts, I'm thinking (tell me if I'm wrong) that we'll cook about (2) 8" pancakes per person. We're going to have fresh blueberries, strawberry preserves, and cinnamon apples on the fixins table, but I suspect most people will use syrup.

How many oz. of syrup should I plan on each person dumping on their pancakes?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bret

2 oz (1/4 cup) servings are typical for maple syrup around here. I never find that it is enough for me, but since you have berries, fruit and other goodies, it just may work. To be on the safe side, maybe you should count on 1/3 cup per serving.

Hey Jim,
My SWAG (silly wild-arsed guess) was 3 oz. That's just a bit higher than 1/3 cup (2.66 oz.) per serving. Your post confirms that I should be OK. I appreciate the advice.
-Bret

If it was for me you would not need any maple syrup cuz I don't care for it.
But then I am often told I am not normal. :twisted:

How often does your lodge do panacake breakfasts ? If it is often you could go the individual serving size and if you buy too much you can always keep it for the next time. The same would hold true for bottles of syrup. Are you going to buy regular size bottles or institutional size ??

We are cooking for our fire department's annual Christmas breakfast next week (we are on the department). We have never figured out a per-person serving size. We usually serve over 200 people and have pancakes and french toast and usually get 3 gallons of syrup from GFS. We have the advantage of having done this for several years and we can just use the past year's figures and adjust from there. We usually make one or two runs to the local grocery store for something we forgot to figure correctly. Every year we promise to keep notes and make adjustments, but alas we never do.... Mike

How often does your lodge do panacake breakfasts ? If it is often you could go the individual serving size and if you buy too much you can always keep it for the next time. The same would hold true for bottles of syrup. Are you going to buy regular size bottles or institutional size ??

We're doing a breakfast on the second Saturday of each month. Last month we did Biscuits and Gravy and it went over great. This month, it's pancakes. I'm probably going to alternate between those two menus month to month (keeping it simple, Midwest Mod).

We're going to do home-sized bottles and put them on the tables. We have six big tables, so I'm going to start w/ 12 bottles of regular (six on the tables) and 6 bottles of sugar-free.

We are cooking for our fire department's annual Christmas breakfast next week (we are on the department). We have never figured out a per-person serving size. We usually serve over 200 people and have pancakes and french toast and usually get 3 gallons of syrup from GFS. We have the advantage of having done this for several years and we can just use the past year's figures and adjust from there. We usually make one or two runs to the local grocery store for something we forgot to figure correctly. Every year we promise to keep notes and make adjustments, but alas we never do.... Mike

Yeah, the store is only about 5 min. from our lodge. Last month I made two trips there to get more biscuits and more eggs. Like you, we're trying to keep good notes so we can plan future breakfasts accordingly.

If it was for me you would not need any maple syrup cuz I don't care for it.
But then I am often told I am not normal.

What do you like on your pancakes? I'm guessing Strawberryvilles. :)

What do you like on your pancakes? I'm guessing Strawberryvilles. :)

I actually prefer blackberry syrup on my pancakes. Even my own family thinks I am odd because I don't care for the maple syrup. :wink:

Pretty well the entire reputation of the state of Vermont is at stake here.

Marsha, before you give up on maple syrup entirely, have you ever had any Fancy Grade VERMONT Maple Syrup?

MapleSyrup.jpg

Marsha, before you give up on maple syrup entirely, have you ever had any Fancy Grade VERMONT Maple Syrup?

MapleSyrup.jpg

Not yet! I guess I should give it a chance, eh?

MapleSyrup.jpg

If you are trying to change minds here, I don't like maple syrup either :rolleyes::biggrin:

Once you have pure maple syrup you will gag at the sight og Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima. However he posted a picture of a gallon can---Marsha just start out with maybe a half pint. The flavor of thick pure maple syrup is awesome---it is also great to use on some BBQ, where a sweet glaze is needed.

Once you have pure maple syrup you will gag at the sight og Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima.

That's the truth as far as I'm concerned. We just used the last of a half gallon of Fancy Grade VERMONT Maple Syrup that I got in one of the auctions. I actually bough Log Cabin last week and I'm ready for some real deal again.

if your using my kids as an example, i think a cup per pancake is about right.

You ever see a pancake float?

I have.. ;)

MapleSyrup.jpg
If you're trying to change minds I'll say that I don't like it (even though I do) and you can send me some....

Back