Just picked up a used Lang, should I reseason it?

K4brannon

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Just Got a New Lang..do I reseason it?

Just picked up a used Lang 48, i was planning on firing it up and doing the steam clean but would you re season it ?

Thanks

Kyle

Just got a couple year old Lang 48 deluxe, was planning on doin the steam clean but do you guys think I should re-season it as well?

Thanks Kyle

I would. It'll give you a chance more or less start from scratch with the cooker, and I don't think that's a bad thing since the cooker is new to you.

Perhaps high pressure wash(no soap) and have some fatties ready and waiting... fire it up right after washing, and SEASON!

Clean it as best you can and re-season. I got a used 48 too. All sorts of crap on the grates. Oven cleaner, scraping and wire wheel to get them to my specs. Re-seasoned using Flax Seed Oil. On first cook the thing would just not get hot. Vents fully open and with the door cracked, would not get above 275° or so. Somethings wrong here! Looked down the stack, which is a 4" diameter pipe, and there was but a 1" clear hole. The rest was clogged with greasy creosote so the cooker could not breathe! Scraped it all out, over a pound of gook from an 18" pipe, and now it runs like new. Just a heads up for you, the previous owner may not have known how to keep a clean fire in yours like what happened to mine. Have Fun!

Wow...a pound of gunk...

Ok..anyways...Its always a good idea to heat the cooker up to 350+ and steam clean it prior to use...I dont do it everytime since wood is expensive...It will only need re-seasoning if it looks dry and wanting to rust...otherwise after you steam clean it, Wipe it down with a rag...spray it with your favorite spray oil and smoke on...

Added a pic. so would pressure washing it first then steaming it and seasoning be the ticket?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 86
Back