• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Backwoods help needed

Gee, I wonder where you learned that???:roll:

Seriously though, that will help you, also take a looks at your charcoal. Depending on the brand, it may burn faster than necessary.....

Notice I did say, "I learned"........:doh:

wallace

I'm still fairly new to running a Backwoods, but am I the only one letting thr pit come up to temp with the meat in it?

bricks? on the brethren? prepare yourself for excommunication. :doh:

about 10 lb. of charcoal and light an absolute minimum number of briquettes, about 10 in a chimney (yes I use briquettes and this isn't intended to be a discussion on briquettes vs. lump).

I run guru'd G2 Party and Chubby. My set up is lump charcoal with a couple of those weber starter cubes in the front right corner. get that going for a few minutes, then slide it in and shut the door. guru on for 250 (or 275) top vent wide open, side vent about 1/2. when I hit 200, I start bumping the side closed every few minutes. when I hit 230-240, side vent is cracked, exhaust gets closed to halfway. on the party, the highest i'll get on setting of 250 is 260. that's close enough for BBQ. could get it closer if I cared to manage the exhaust more.. oh, empty water pan until it hits 200. then warm water if I can. i'm usually up to temp in 45-60 minutes. my stickburner could take 2 hours to settle in. so i'm not complaining.

right after I light the corner of the charcoal I'll take the torch and burn off the grates inside the smoker. Give them a good scrub and heat up the cook chamber in the process. Cooker is up to temp in 10 minutes.

I run my fan about 1/2, exhaust wide open always...watch for too much burn, over shoot temps then, so warm box with water 25 * below your cooking temp..once reached load up and re-set your temp to cooking temp..the guru learns your box...dont mess with you vents, the only vent used is the fans..keep it simple as once I load with meat about 11 pm, I will have another beer and climb in my camper...check on it about 3 or 4 am

Sounds like a lot of work Tom...I dunno, maybe you should go back to the Jambo. I'll be over to pick up the Backwoods and get it out of your hair...

I "walk" mine up to temp. Leave the door up till 190-200, then set the guru at 215, when it over shoots to 220, I adjust to 220, and go up 5 degrees at a time. Its hard for them to cool once they are going, so I just take my time and walk it up.

I'm cool with being a heretic. I'll take the two GCs, five top fives overall and an additonal three top tens since last spring when I made the switch. Don't even get me started on the modified deflector plate I had made for my EP. It all works for me, but there's more than one way to the top of the mountain.

I'm cool with being a heretic. I'll take the two GCs, five top fives overall and an additonal three top tens since last spring when I made the switch. Don't even get me started on the modified deflector plate I had made for my EP. It all works for me, but there's more than one way to the top of the mountain. Except putting beans in chili. If you do that, you're an idiot. :p

What brand of briqs are you guys using?

My prefered brand is Royal Oak Chef Select restaurant/institutional (marked "Not For Resale") in 40 lb. bags. I can get those for $17.00 a bag and have been quite pleased. As a side note, I find it kind of funny they say Not For Resale yet I'm buying them.

When I can't get the Royal Oak I use Kingsford Comp. Gotta be more careful with those as they burn pretty hot. Just one less variable to worry about when you're by yourself for 90% of the cook.

My prefered brand is Royal Oak Chef Select restaurant/institutional (marked "Not For Resale") in 40 lb. bags. I can get those for $17.00 a bag and have been quite pleased. As a side note, I find it kind of funny they say Not For Resale yet I'm buying them.

When I can't get the Royal Oak I use Kingsford Comp. Gotta be more careful with those as they burn pretty hot. Just one less variable to worry about when you're by yourself for 90% of the cook.

I'm with Kit on this one. I use briqs in my Party. Lump burns too hot and fast.

briqs lump personal pref I use lump cooker don't care just have to learn the cooker with what one uses. Podge didn't you have an issue with your new BWS competitor when you first got it running a lil hot?

Bet there has never been a comment card that says,
Tastes like you used Kingsford

Back