• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

We finally just grabbed it

Nice! I remember seeing them at Costco a couple of years back.
Did you get it at Los Feliz or Burbank?

Nice! I remember seeing them at Costco a couple of years back.
Did you get it at Los Feliz or Burbank?

We checked Burbank and they do not carry them. Only select locations. We got ours at the Van Nuys location. As of yesterday they had 14. They also said Pacoima had some. I you go to Santa Maria bbq outfitters website they have a list of distributors. Apparently they are seasonal and go pretty fast.

No air flow control. Basically like cooking over an in ground pit except its lifted up and put in a metal box. Santa Maria bbq outfitters also sells a charcoal/wood grate that lifts the fire up and allows it to draft. Gonna buy one or fabricate one myself. They also have a propane side burner that fits in place of one of the cutting boards that looks like a nice touch.

I was wondering about that. I'm surprised it doesn't come with charcoal/wood grate. You sure it's not just missing?

No, unfortunately it doesn't. They run about 52 bucks for a 20x30. If using just wood though, there should be enough natural draft and spaces between the wood to keep the fire burning nice and hot. Think cooking over a campfire. But im gonna go ahead and put a grate together at least for the charcoal when I use it.

If you have access to any tools, a little rebar and expanded metal and you can have a fire grate for a bunch less that $52 + shipping & tax.
No, unfortunately it doesn't. They run about 52 bucks for a 20x30. If using just wood though, there should be enough natural draft and spaces between the wood to keep the fire burning nice and hot. Think cooking over a campfire. But im gonna go ahead and put a grate together at least for the charcoal when I use it.

My firebox is pretty deep. Makes for a good ash catcher though. I had my guy make me an insert out of square tubing. I just put it in the fire box and set a piece of heavy duty expanded metal on it and the coals are near the lip/top of the fire box. It's been my experience with these kinds of cookers that the higher up in the box you get the coals, the better it cooks. The further down in the box you have the fire, the more wood it takes and your coals get smothered by ash. To me, the most important thing would be the insert and, at some point, switching to an Argentine V style parrilla cooking surface. If I knew then what I know now, I never would've sold my old Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters cooker. I would've simply had my local welder build a charcoal grate for it and retrofitted a parrilla style grate on it. I could have saved myself some bucks and frustration. Hope this helps.

uhhhhh...why not buy a OTS? Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand the concept of this style of grill. Else build a fire in the backyard and put a grate on top of it.

My firebox is pretty deep. Makes for a good ash catcher though. I had my guy make me an insert out of square tubing. I just put it in the fire box and set a piece of heavy duty expanded metal on it and the coals are near the lip/top of the fire box. It's been my experience with these kinds of cookers that the higher up in the box you get the coals, the better it cooks. The further down in the box you have the fire, the more wood it takes and your coals get smothered by ash. To me, the most important thing would be the insert and, at some point, switching to an Argentine V style parrilla cooking surface. If I knew then what I know now, I never would've sold my old Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters cooker. I would've simply had my local welder build a charcoal grate for it and retrofitted a parrilla style grate on it. I could have saved myself some bucks and frustration. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Definitely going to be putting in a grate. Probably not going to buy it. Going to do some experimenting first and decide on exactly how I want it put together and go from there. Did you have the Parrilla made custom?

uhhhhh...why not buy a OTS? Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand the concept of this style of grill. Else build a fire in the backyard and put a grate on top of it.

My favorite idea would be to dig a hole but I have a feeling the landlord would kill me.

Thanks for the info. Definitely going to be putting in a grate. Probably not going to buy it. Going to do some experimenting first and decide on exactly how I want it put together and go from there. Did you have the Parrilla made custom?

My favorite idea would be to dig a hole but I have a feeling the landlord would kill me.

Not a hole in the ground but as close as I could get:
003_zps8bbd9f68.jpg

003_zps96c92051.jpg

Complete build
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161033

Holy Cow! Nice rig. I'm still grilling with gas but BBQing with coals. I've been thinking about making a change, c
Another reason to visit Costco!

Yes, my whole grill was custom made.

What's the process to cleaning out the fire pit? I didn't see any doors or trays.

1. Well for one thing the height of the cooking grate is completely adjustable.
2. You don't have to bend over close to the ground when using it.
3. It's a whole lot cooler than a OTS.

Not really necessary. Have had mine for several years never a problem...

Thanks for the post. Still looks good after several years. Let me ask, how do you go about adding wood if you are going to be cooking for an extended period? Just put splits on top and adjust the grate as they ignite? Or set them off to the side and let them cook down a bit.

Thanks for the post. Still looks good after several years. Let me ask, how do you go about adding wood if you are going to be cooking for an extended period? Just put splits on top and adjust the grate as they ignite? Or set them off to the side and let them cook down a bit.

Depends, if you need an extended cook, spend some extra time building your coal bed. You only want to cook over a coal bed. If you do need to add wood, yes do it over on one side not directly under your meat.

Back