UDS picture thread??

Here is my first build...

2011-10-23161008.jpg

Here is my first build. Cooked ribs on it last night.

Attachments

• gatorsuds.jpg
    gatorsuds.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 347
Another Ugly Drum

I finally finished my drum. I read almost all of the Mother of all threads and I have to say THANK YOU to all of the Brethren who contributed to the thread. Unfortunatly my camera was acting up during the build but my son showed up with his camera during my seasoning run. The drum has double racks, 3 each 3/4" inlets with one controlled by a ball valve, 2 thermometer insertion points on the drum, and 1 thermometer on the lid.
I need to practice with it to master the temp control. It was a windy day so that didn't help but I was able to get it to stay pretty much between 250 and 300 with a lot of tending but like I said it was pretty windy.

I built a very simple version of the UDS. I just use a magnet for that air intake. It works great! The temperature holds very steady. I am glad I found this forum.:thumb:

DSCF5869-1.jpg

I regret making holes for the temperature gauges. I mainly use my maverick et73. I also wish I would have taken my Weber lid to find a perfect drum fit. I had to cut the bottom out. It all worked out in the end.:-D

R2BQ-35.jpg

Figure I will add my UDS to the this thread for future reference:

Here's mine. Very basic. The way I like things.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325553472.609353.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325553472.609353.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 286
Getting ready to build my first UDS

Just a couple questions. I just picked up a 34" tall drum, food grade, and a neighbor is taking it to work to have it sandblasted. My questions are:

1. Since it's being sandblasted, I'm assuming I don't need to do a burn, other than maybe taking an angle grinder to any paint remnants (probably none), right?

2. For the heat diffuser, does anyone use a pan filled with water, to allow for steam? Or just use something dry, just to defect too much direct heat?

3. I'm probably going to pick up three 8" pneumatic casters...are these too tall (could cause it to tip over). I was planning on making a dolly out of wood with sheet metal on top, like one a few pages/posts above.

Last edited:
Back