Where to find Tri-Tip

Grafixgibbs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I really want to do a tri-tip but not sure where to find it in our area. We are sadly lacking in the local butcher shops. We have grocery stores (Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Lowes) and Sam's, Restaurant Depot and Wal-Mart. Any ideas where might be a good place to look? or what other names it would fall under?

Most Restaurant Depots will have them, but in cryovac packs of about 10-12. Costco usually has them in two-packs.

we do have a trader joes near by.

If you don't have any good butcher shops near by, TJ's should have tri-tips. Just be sure to get the un-marinated ones. They usually carry multiple tri-tips marinated in different seasonings. They should also carry naked ones and they'll be from Australia.

I buy them at Restaurant Depot . They come in bulk cryovac .
Sams use to sell them in three paks by me years ago but not anymore

Surprisingly I have seen fresh cuts in Publix like the tri-tip and fresh butts and brisket packers, flats, and points.

What I mean by fresh is that they are not in the cryovac, I think they are trimming out and wrapping in house. If you have a Publix, check with them. I think they have spread out that far north but maybe not.

Surprisingly I have seen fresh cuts in Publix like the tri-tip and fresh butts and brisket packers, flats, and points.

What I mean by fresh is that they are not in the cryovac, I think they are trimming out and wrapping in house. If you have a Publix, check with them. I think they have spread out that far north but maybe not.

No Publix yet but we have two signs in the area "Publix coming soon."

Thanks all for the advice. I will probably try at our usual grocery places and if I can't find any there go to TJ's then RD.

The quest is on to try this cut of meat everyone raves about.

HEB sells ribs like this in no cryo. They buy them in the cryo, remove them from the cryo and rewrap them. Then they add $.50 to the cost per pound and sell the hell out of them....... Genious! :rolleyes:

Down here in the heat belt (austin Tx) I find them at Costoc. $5.29 a pound. They sure smoke up real good. ALLLLLLmmmmooost better than brisket.

Do you have a costco nearby? That is the only place I've seen them around here.

Found a local butcher that carries them. When I was judging BBQ & Blues this weekend I met their PR person and she asked me to write a review on them for my blog. So I emailed them and found out they have tri-tip and I'll experiment with it and write a review of their shop. Win-Win. :thumb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Beef cut
BeefCutBottomSirloin.svg
Beef cut: Bottom Sirloin
Steak type: Tri-tip
(also known as: "triangle steak")
Tri-tip, baked beans and toast.jpg
Whole beef tri-tip rump, grilled medium rare

The tri-tip is a cut of beef from the bottom sirloin primal cut.[1] It is a small triangular muscle, usually 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. (675 to 1,150g) per side of beef.

The scientific name of this muscle is Tensor fasciae latae, inserted in the Fascia lata, the connective tissue covering the Quadriceps femoris, also called Quadriceps extensor, a group of four muscles which in turn insert in the Patella, or knee cap of the animal.

Back