Brisket is done way early...what should I do to hold it?

J

joeysmac

So I have a 16# Brisket that I was expecting to take 16-24 hours, so I slapped it on about 10:00 last night and the UDS ran about 240* all night long. I got up about 4:00 and the brisket was already 160*. The drum was 225* on the nose. At about 9:00 it was 190, so I took it off and wrapped it in foil/towels/cooler. Sooo NOW WHAT? It's supposed to be dinner! :doh:

Should I:

1. Leave it in the cooler as is and warm it back up when I slice it (if it needs it)?
2. Go ahead and put it in an oven on "warm" (170*) until dinner?
3. Slice it and then put it in an oven on "warm" (170*) until dinner?
4. Slice it and stick it in the fridge and just warm it back up when it's time to eat?

I just don't want it to dry out...thanks a ton for your help!!!!!

I have held meat in a cooler for 4 hours without any problems. Make sure your temp does not go below 140* though. If it does drop below 140 you will need to reheat to 165 for safety reasons. Your best solution, imho, is to slice, cool quickly, then reheat when it is dinner time by adding in some of the juices, covering with some foil and putting it in a 200* cooker or oven till the meat is 165*. Question for you. Did you go by temp alone for doneness or did you probe for tenderness. My experience is probing is much more accurate than temp alone. Happy dinner.

Yeah, it probed like butter...my probe went right through it and poked a hole in the foil under it...probably lost half of the juices.

Cooler it. With lots lots of crumpled newspaper to serve as insulation. It will hold.

The longest I held a brisket in a cooler was 6 hours. The empty space was filled with towels and when I took it out is was still very hot.

Back