Porch on Trailer or no porch.

alwaysgolf

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
My buddy and I are in the process of starting a vending/catering trailer. We would like some opinions on whether or not it is better to have the smoker mounted on a porch trailer or tow it seperately with another vehicle. Looking at a 16ft box with a 6ft porch and a 8ft porch with a 18ft box. The larger is slightly out of our price range. Trailer is complete with fridge, freezer, range/oven, griddle, fryer.

I think it is best to have it on one trailer and it frees up the other truck to maybe haul a second cargo trailer when needed with supplies.

Opinions welcomed

My un-informed opinion is this: If your tow vehicle can handle the weight of the extra length plus the smoker or 2 that you'd put on there, then definitely go with a porch. That way, ideally you'll never have to worry about towing another trailer or smoker or putting up tents or any of that. Plus, since some health departments require screened enclosures for food prep, the porch would be relatively easy to screen in.

set up for one vehicle...never rely on that extra help or 2nd vehicle..for real big events then 2nd truck / cooker will be needed....but keep main operation simple..for one person to set up / tear down. ... .unless going BIG

I was always curious about all that weight so far back, behind the axles and whether it would cause the trailer to be prone to fishtailing and swaying. Extremebbqtrailers.com sells the ones with porch so you might check their site in that regard.

Thanks for the replies, definitely want to go the porch route. But may have to go smaller trailer, due to budget concerns, (AKA Wife< LOL). So, may have to lose the freezer and possibly griddle.
Will be using a SPX 300 but not mounted through the wall.

give the trailer builder your weights of equipment and basic location, they will ballence axle location my sp weights 1,800 and sits behind the axle..

Back