UDS Diffuser

mstokens

Reaction score
I've been using a 16" pizza pan (no holes) as a diffuser and am pleased with how it helps with distributing the heat more evenly. I've been thinking about using the top that was was cut out of my drum as a diffuser. It will fit inside sitting on my rack screws with about a 1/2" clearance around the sides. I was thinking about adding screws about half way between the charcoal basket and the bottom rack for it. Has anyone tried this? Is there a particular pattern the holes should be in... what size holes? Just have the one lid so don't have extras to experiment with.

It's just a diffuser, I don't think it matters how the holes are placed, The odd time that I feel that I need to use one,I have an 18" pizza pan with a few random holes in it that seems to work fine. I set mine right on top of the fire basket.

I too use the pizza pan, no holes and place it on top of my basket.

I used the bottom saucer of a terracotta pot I bought at Lowes and placed it right on top of my basket.

i have bolts about 3 inches above my basket and i use one of my cooking grates with a simple aluminum half pan. i dont have to clean it, just toss it when it gets nasty and putting the cooking grate down there burns the left over sauce and crap up so it brushes off nicely for my next cook. ( i have two drums and 4 or 5 racks)

I have the top of my old drum but it would fit too tight and mess up the air flow. I would use a laser torch and cut off the outside 2-3 inches to allow air flow. That's only an opinion though. My heat diffuser is the water pan from a 17" brinkman water smoker. I drilled 3 holes and hang it from the bottom rack.

I drilled 3 holes equally spaced around the perimeter to hang the diffuser with 1/4" eye bolts a washer soit doesn't fall throught the grates and a wing nut for quick tool-less removal.

Back