• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New England Stop n' Shop - $4.99/lb Rib Roasts - Wet age?

CircleW

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi all!

This is a heads-up to those in New England... Stop and Shop has choice rib roasts for $4.99/lb. I decided to pick up a 7 lb'er today. I would like to wet age this thing for a while. Any suggestions? This would be my first... I have a foodsaver so I can seal it up pretty tight.

Thanks much!

Great price! I'll be out there on Thusday but don't think I'll have a fridge with me to take any home.
I'd just cook it before the sell by date if you can't identify the pack date.

Thanks for the input on the aging. I did some research last night and most are saying that if it is out of the cryo than aging is risky. I don't know the kill date either. Poor family will have to eat rib roast as-is. :razz:

I'll post some pics of the cook when it happens.

Thanks for the input on the aging. I did some research last night and most are saying that if it is out of the cryo than aging is risky. I don't know the kill date either.

That was going to be my recommendation as well. Even if you knew the kill date, I wouldn't try to wet age anything if it's not in the original cryo.

I did some research last night and most are saying that if it is out of the cryo than aging is risky.

Yep, it has already been subjected to contamination.

You want to wet age int he original cryo.

I always get the full one in the original cryo, usually around 15 lbs.

After wet aging, if I only want to cook half, I'll vac-seal and freeze the other half, or cut into steaks and vac-seal.

Where in New England are you? I'm in CT and ours are still priced @$8.99
bummer for me

Southern MA, close to Providence RI.

Great input everyone, thanks again!

Back