Roasted Pork Loin Flavor

Vision

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I don't make a lot of pork loins. When I have had them they've been bland and will be dry if you're not careful. Last week I had some slices off a loin and they were really good. They had a, I'll call it, an enjoyable "roasted" pork flavor. The best way I can describe it is a meaty, almost toasted pork flavor. I doubt there was any complex preparation. Does this seem familiar to anyone? Is there a trick to getting this flavor? High temp? Low temp?

With no complex preparation likely, I would guess marinated and then roasted. Maybe just a great piece of pork?

If you want to get more complex, I can imagine various injection, roasting, sous vide, vacuum brining techniques that would drive flavor deeper into the meat.

I kind of wonder if slow cooking it amplifies the flavor through moisture loss. Just a guess. If there was anything done to it it would have been a basic salt water brine only.

I keep pork loin pretty simple. I brine it for about an hour per pound, rinse and let it rest in the fridge to equalize for the same amount of time as it was in the brine.Then I rub it with whatever hits me on that day and cook until it is 135 - 140 internal. I usually cook at 275 - 325. After the loin comes out of the cooker I let it rest for 20 - 30 minutes under a tent of foil before slicing.

I keep pork loin pretty simple. I brine it for about an hour per pound, rinse and let it rest in the fridge to equalize for the same amount of time as it was in the brine.Then I rub it with whatever hits me on that day and cook until it is 135 - 140 internal. I usually cook at 275 - 325. After the loin comes out of the cooker I let it rest for 20 - 30 minutes under a tent of foil before slicing.

^ +1 I agree

I too brine my loin (and chops), apply rub, and cook it about 300 - 325, very moist and flavorful.

I'm only guessing here really, but that "roasted" flavor, I would think would come from a high heat searing, and then finishing to IT of 130-140 indirect after the sear.

Makin' me hungry just talkin' about it.

KC

I prefer to wrap mine in speed wrap net. Butcher and Packers has the netting. I wrap mine in a onion and shallot roughly chopped mixture. Then inject with apple juice and powdered garlic and onion diluted with white wine. Slow cook, Indirect till the IT reaches 150. Pull it and let it rest unwrapped but covered for about 30 minutes. Slice thin and serve with hot drippings to complete the cook! The sliced pork will re-hydrate and absorb the flavors.

Back