To convert or not convert to reverse flow?

Joe Beere

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have a 32 inch custom built offset stick burner. It is not currently set up as a reverse flow. It has charcoal grates in the cooking chamber so that it can be used as a grill. Having never cooked on a reverse flow smoker I'm wondering if I should go to the trouble and expense of having it converted.

If you've cooked on both types please convince me one way or the other.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe L

Attachments

• Smoke 1.jpg
    Smoke 1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 127
I have a 32 inch custom built offset stick burner. It is not currently set up as a reverse flow. It has charcoal grates in the cooking chamber so that it can be used as a grill. Having never cooked on a reverse flow smoker I'm wondering if I should go to the trouble and expense of having it converted.

If you've cooked on both types please convince me one way or the other.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe L

You can easily convert it yourself.

I have a Brinkman I converted to reverse flow, it was a good smoker and cooked more evenly after the modifications. I still use it as one of my back-up smokers during larger cooks..

Have both styles - the traditional offset (Klose BackYard Chef) and a R/F smoker (Lang).
Each style has features that I rely on... but both are 1/4" steel.

Depending on your welding skills and the thickness of the existing steel on the smoker... might be a challenge.
However the WSM will be the starting smoker tonight for tomorrow's brisket on gameday.

I'm seriously thinking about having it converted. I can't do it myself since I don't have a cutting torch and welder. I could have the stack moved to the other end and then have the baffel made in a couple pieces so that I could remove it. I could then still use it as a grill. Labor would be the main cost.

It would be easier to have some "tuning plates" cut to fit.

I have the Lang, an original 84 before they called it 84. I have an old Brinkmann 1/4 inch
offset that's much smaller but cooks pretty good, all things considered...

I like both. They're different, and I do prefer the reverse flow, but you'll note that I've
still not converted by old brinkmann. I think if you're looking to purchase one, I'd have
it way up there in consideration. However, covert? I dont know I think you could
make a decent cooking smoker not cook well if there's not the precise air flow, or if
the grease drain isn't done well...

Perhaps, if you could have it done for very little money, then perhaps I would...

I cant really adequately compare my smaller pit to my larger pit, because they're
not apples and apples. The reverse flow does seem to distribute the heat and smoke
MUCH better, with no real hot spots and a much narrower temperature spread front
to back...

Now I'm starting to feel very strongly about it....both ways!!

I do love to cook on it and have it dialed in the way it is.

I wish I/we had obvious yes or no advice for you. It's not black or white...

You may have said it for "my" decision above, but then I'm not making the decision.
You said "have it dialed in". If so, then I'm thinking you may be wasting your money
and possibly making a good smoker not-as-good.

Yeah, I think I'll keep it the way it is and put a Lang or something similar on my wish list.

Thanks you guys for your help.

Back