Galvanized, zinc, stainless and ..chrome?

TysDad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Oh wizards of all things metallic...a question. We've been told countless times that galvanized metal heated up produces fumes that are bad for ones health. Zinc plated isn't so good, either. So we're supposed to use stainless nuts and bolts and uncoated metal for anything in the fire zone of a smoker.

But what about chromed metal? I was wandering around Lowe's in Chino Hills this afternoon (need to kill more ants) and saw a chromed metal basket in the area with the closet organization stuff. That got me thinking...so a bit of browsing found a whole bunch of baskets like this one. 12.75" L x 11.75" W x 8" H. At $10 it would save me cutting, bending, bolting and attaching the expanded metal --- and bleeding all over it as well.

fl.jpg

What say ye? Safe or not? Too wimpy and will die a quick death or not?

It's not hexavalent chromium...but I was still thinking of Julia Roberts the whole time I was typing this...

once you burn whatever there is off, its all steel. Even the galvanized stuff can be used after the initial burn...

rule of thumb, if its rusts(or oxidizes), its safe.

only time gal will hurt you when you weld on it and breath the fumes it wont kill you but make you sick

SAFE!!!
Most of the grill freats you can buy are chrom plated, most likely the racks in your oven are too.
that looks like a great basket for a UDS, i need to look in to one (or 3) of those.

Ask the guys who weld galvanized steel what it does. It gives off horrible fumes. Will it kill you? I'm still alive but have been real sick from breathing the fumes. It comes from zinc poisoning. I don't know anything about chrome except typically when something is chromed its dipped in a vat or tank. What does Weber make their grates from?

I have looked at those baskets several times. My only concern with them is what are they actually made of ? They are surely an imported product at that price so the chromed steel is surely as cheap of a product as can be made into something.

I would chooose plain US made expanded steel over imported cheap chromed steel any day.

There's a huge difference in temperature between grill grates and charcoal grates --- that's what I am concerned about. Heck at only 225 degrees F in a smoker, just about anything that's safe at room temperature-that isn't boiling, sublimating or fuming- is safe. I'm guessing that the metal expansion at the fire level will make the chrome flake right off -- but as long as it won't kill me, who cares? I believe that a good burn-off will resolve any potential problems...just like a drum or any new cooker.

This one would do a UDS proud...it's a chromed trash can holder. Round. Wide spacing of the wires for good ash drainage. Cheap. It might be just too good looking for an ugly smoker, though....

wirebasket1.jpg

Bad info.

It can and will kill you.
COLD GALVANIZE Corrosion Inhibitor
  • <LI class=bullets>99% pure, zinc-rich, galvanize coating <LI class=bullets>Prevents rust and corrosion on all metals <LI class=bullets>Performs like a hot dip galvanize to prevent rust and corrosion on all types of metals for up to three years <LI class=bullets>Provides a tough, flexible coating that will not crack or peel even in extreme heat or cold <LI class=bullets>Up to two years protection <LI class=bullets>Dries in 3-5 minutes <LI class=bullets>Withstands water temperature up to 212°F (100°C) and continuous dry heat up to 750°F (400°C). <LI class=bullets>Works as a paint primer over rust <LI class=big_bullets>Repairs rusted, galvanized and welded surfaces
  • Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) approved

well be sure to buy a lot of them... they will collapse and warp quickly under the heat. its for a charcoal basket??? I say no.

COLD GALVANIZE Corrosion Inhibitor
  • <LI class=bullets>99% pure, zinc-rich, galvanize coating <LI class=bullets>Prevents rust and corrosion on all metals <LI class=bullets>Performs like a hot dip galvanize to prevent rust and corrosion on all types of metals for up to three years <LI class=bullets>Provides a tough, flexible coating that will not crack or peel even in extreme heat or cold <LI class=bullets>Up to two years protection <LI class=bullets>Dries in 3-5 minutes <LI class=bullets>Withstands water temperature up to 212°F (100°C) and continuous dry heat up to 750°F (400°C). <LI class=bullets>Works as a paint primer over rust <LI class=big_bullets>Repairs rusted, galvanized and welded surfaces
  • Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) approved

and?

I am not trying to start a pissing match here. With all of the other readily available supplies and sources I can see no reason to use galvanized anything in a UDS build. Period.

and?

I am not trying to start a pissing match here. With all of the other readily available supplies and sources I can see no reason to use galvanized anything in a UDS build. Period.
Exactly, is it worth a gamble to use the galvanized nipples or parts you have kept in the garage vs spending less than $5 to buy steel? A couple of good meals prepared at home vs. buying sub par food at a bbq joint justifies the cost of getting the right stuff the first time. Build it once and build it to last. There has been enough trial and error and pointers here that a person should know what is right and wrong. Believe me I am a cheap bastard but not at the cost of making someone sick. I truly believe that if someone says they can't find XXX they are not looking hard enough. Hell an old car rim would make a great charcoal basket .

Agreed!!!!

( said the stainless freak)

The Ace Hardwear in Diamond Bar (Diamond Bar Blvd and Golden springs Blvd) next to K-Mart has expanded steel and all the fittins you will need.

Man you got good eyes if you can see that from where your at.

I dont use galv either but stating the fact I work in the food industry for years which got inspected by the FDA, military they never said anything about galv. lot of the commerical oven rack are galv . Lot of water lines are gal, pipe. If you weld on it and breath the fumes you can get gal. poison whith flu like sympton. But of course you heating it to around 3000 F.

It's not about finding the expanded metal. I can go lots of places for that. It's not about the cost, either. I get satisfaction from making stuff myself - - come over to my house sometime and you'll see all of the things I've made when buying might make more sense. That is a blanket Brethren invitation, by the way!

I was just wondering if it would be safe to use in a pinch. It'll probably collapse or burn through quickly --- oh, well. Is it safe?

I've seen an old car wheel used as a grill before. Worked fine. There are some folks here that could cook fantastic food no matter what tools they were given, that's for sure.

And Dr_KY -- it's a bit foggy here today, so the new crack in the floor underneath the cash registers at the DB ACE from the earthquake may be a bit hard to see. They covered it with red stucco tape, so you just might catch a glimpse...

Back