• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

F.a.q.

iPhone Hotspot?

Q: I'd like to use your app at my next BBQ competition. What do I need besides the Stoker and a power supply?

A: You will need a wireless router that also has wired connectors. Make sure you have configured the router at home before you head out to the competition. You'll need to hook it up to a computer and make sure the Stoker and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch can connect to the router's network. Once you have all 3 devices talking, all you have to do at the competition is give the router power, plug the Stoker into the router, and then connect to the network with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Once all this is done you will be ready to go.

One note, if the ip address of the Stoker changes at the competition from what it was when you were home, you will need to register the new ip address as a new Stoker or edit your existing Stoker and replace it's ip address with the new ip address.

With the addition to make the iPhone a hot spot would you be able to use this as the wireless router? Then would you be able to use the app on the same iPhone or would you need another iPhone or iPad?

With the addition to make the iPhone a hot spot would you be able to use this as the wireless router? Then would you be able to use the app on the same iPhone or would you need another iPhone or iPad?

I don't have an iPhone, just an iPad, so I don't know exactly how the hot spot works in that configuration. But from what I know of how networking should work, this configuration with the WiFi version of the Stoker should work with just one iPhone. The key is this: the IP address given to the Stoker by the hot spot needs to be accessable by the iPhone on the hot spot.

-NCGrimbo

Alarm for Target temp goes off all the time

For some reason every minute or so the alarm for Target Temp keeps going off. Is there a way to stop this? I modified the interval and range and it had not affect. This is annoying and unusable application at night if I cannot figure this out. Thanks for your help in advance.

For some reason every minute or so the alarm for Target Temp keeps going off. Is there a way to stop this? I modified the interval and range and it had not affect. This is annoying and unusable application at night if I cannot figure this out. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hey. I will need some more information to figure out what is going on. Can you email me at NCGrimbo@gmail.com and let me know what version of the app you are running (v1.0 or v1.1) and if you would send me a screen shot (press the home button and the power button at the same time) from the iPhone or iPad with your options setting, I will take a look.

Has anyone tested Stoke Master with Stoker Firmware version 2.7.0.31? I have noticed that both Stoke Master and StokerLog seem to have a polarity problem with the Fire pit alarm setting. If I use the web interface to set up my Fire pit alarm on the Stoker, and then view it with either Stoker Master or StokerLog it shows as not set. It I then set the fire pit alarm with either Stoker Master or StokerLog, it turns it off when viewed using the Web interface on the Stoker.

Has anyone tested Stoke Master with Stoker Firmware version 2.7.0.31? I have noticed that both Stoke Master and StokerLog seem to have a polarity problem with the Fire pit alarm setting. If I use the web interface to set up my Fire pit alarm on the Stoker, and then view it with either Stoker Master or StokerLog it shows as not set. It I then set the fire pit alarm with either Stoker Master or StokerLog, it turns it off when viewed using the Web interface on the Stoker.

I haven't loaded that version of the firmware, so I'm not aware of any issues. I will try to get that firmware loaded and do some testing in the next week or so to see if this is an issue with StokeMaster or the firmware.

Until then, I would suggest backing down your firmare to 2.7.0.8

Blower Pause

Can this app take advantage of the "Blower Pause" feature to stop the blowers for 5 min while the smoker lid is open?

Can this app take advantage of the "Blower Pause" feature to stop the blowers for 5 min while the smoker lid is open?

Not yet, but there will be a future version that handles the blower when opening the lid.

Stoker V6.7

I just received my new stoker and am having a problem with Stokerlog sending update emails or texts. They come through just fine when I use the SEND TEST EMAIL button, but none otherwise. I will add that the twitter update functions are working perfectly. Any help with this would be fantastic. Thanks.

I just received my new stoker and am having a problem with Stokerlog sending update emails or texts. They come through just fine when I use the SEND TEST EMAIL button, but none otherwise. I will add that the twitter update functions are working perfectly. Any help with this would be fantastic. Thanks.

I didn't write StokerLog, so I can not give you any help with that. A guy named Amir wrote that and he's fairly active at http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9270072103. If you post a question there, he will probably see it and respond.

-NCGrimbo

Thanks. I recently put the Stokemaster App on my wifes Ipad 2. Unfortunately, she won't let me play with it so I might have to get my own. Does it support 2 cookers at once? If not, do you know of any software that will other than the Stokers web interface. I tried the Stokerlog and it gets buggy with two blowers.

Thanks. I recently put the Stokemaster App on my wifes Ipad 2. Unfortunately, she won't let me play with it so I might have to get my own. Does it support 2 cookers at once? If not, do you know of any software that will other than the Stokers web interface. I tried the Stokerlog and it gets buggy with two blowers.

StokeMaster should work out of the box with multiple blowers, but I will admit that I have not tried it in this configuration since I only have 1 blower. Give it a try and let me know how it works. If it doesn't work, I feel certain that I can get it to work.

-NCGrimbo

If I have the new wifi stoker and an ipad, but at a comp with no service, can I network the ipad to the wifi stoker somehow?

If I have the new wifi stoker and an ipad, but at a comp with no service, can I network the ipad to the wifi stoker somehow?

Yes, but you need 1 more item. You need a wireless router and a little bit of setup time before you go to the comp. Here are the simplified steps:

1. Configure the router and setup the wireless network on the router.
  2. Configure the WiFi on the Stoker to connect to the newly configured router.
  3. Configure your iPad to connect to the newly configured router.
  4. Make sure the iPad talks to the WiFi Stoker by going to the Stoker's IP address with a browser on the iPad.
  5. Turn off the Stoker and router and pack them up for the trip.
  6. When you get to the comp, plug in the router and then turn it on. Give it a minute or two to get going.
  7. Make sure the iPad connects to the router's wireless network. (It should have the same name as you gave it at home.)
  8. Fire up the WiFi Stoker and make sure it gets an IP Address from the router.
  9. Double check that the iPad can talk to the WiFi stoker by going to the Stoker's IP address with a browser on the iPad.
  10. Crank up StokeMaster and enjoy!
The key is to make sure everything is working at home before you head off to the comp.

-NCGrimbo

Couple questions on the App:
Can I change the target temps on the probes using the app? It allows me to change the number, but there's no way to accept or confirm the change.
Is there any way to turn off the popup alarm sound? It's very annoying.

Thanks!

Couple questions on the App:
Can I change the target temps on the probes using the app? It allows me to change the number, but there's no way to accept or confirm the change.
Is there any way to turn off the popup alarm sound? It's very annoying.

Thanks!

Once you make a change to a probe on it's configuration screen, that change is passed on to the Stoker. I'm looking into using a picker to select the temps in v1.3. This will allow you to cancel out of the change if you choose to.

v1.2 will allow you to choose what music you hear when the alarm pops up. Other than that, you can turn off the alarms if they are poping up to frequently or change the frequency of how often they pop up.

v1.2 was submitted to Apple on Wednesday, so I'm waiting for them to approve it.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

-NCGrimbo

Once you make a change to a probe on it's configuration screen, that change is passed on to the Stoker. I'm looking into using a picker to select the temps in v1.3. This will allow you to cancel out of the change if you choose to.

v1.2 will allow you to choose what music you hear when the alarm pops up. Other than that, you can turn off the alarms if they are poping up to frequently or change the frequency of how often they pop up.

v1.2 was submitted to Apple on Wednesday, so I'm waiting for them to approve it.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

-NCGrimbo

It does, thank you. I wasn't being patient enough for the app to reflect the changes made to the temp. It would be nice if there was a "done" or "go" button when changing temps though.

Like you did in post 34, can you post detailed steps on how to configure the stoker, router and iPhone to communicate with each other?
I already have a router connected to my stoker and I can access my stoker on my home network. I want to be able to access the stoker at a comp via my laptop and iPhone.
Can you please post detailed steps on how to do this?

Like you did in post 34, can you post detailed steps on how to configure the stoker, router and iPhone to communicate with each other?
I already have a router connected to my stoker and I can access my stoker on my home network. I want to be able to access the stoker at a comp via my laptop and iPhone.
Can you please post detailed steps on how to do this?

If everything is working at home and you can bring your home router and the cables to your comp, you just plug everything together at the comp like you have it plugged up at home. If the laptop uses the local network wirelessly, then it will continue to work that way at the comp.

In simple terms, the router is what defines your local network. Anything that talks to it is part of your local network. So when you take your router to the comp., you are taking your local network with you. If it works at home, it will work at the comp. You just have to make sure it is connected the same way once you get to the comp. And, make sure that your iPhone or iPad are connected to the local network when you try to run the app at the comp.

The one key is to make sure that the WiFi part of your router is password protected so that no one can connect to it but yourself.

The steps are pretty much the same as post #34, but I list them here for anyone that has a non-WiFi Stoker:

1. Configure the router and setup the wireless network on the router.
  2. Plug the Stoker into one of the ports at the back of the router.
  3. Configure your iPad/iPhone to connect to the newly configured router via WiFi.
  4. Make sure the iPad talks to the Stoker by going to the Stoker's IP address with a browser on the iPad.
  5. Turn off the Stoker and router and pack them up for the trip.
  6. When you get to the comp, plug in the router and then turn it on. Give it a minute or two to get going.
  7. Make sure the iPad connects to the router's wireless network. (It should have the same name as you gave it at home.)
  8. Plug in the Stoker to the router and make sure it gets an IP Address from the router.
  9. Double check that the iPad can talk to the WiFi stoker by going to the Stoker's IP address with a browser on the iPad.
  10. Crank up StokeMaster and enjoy!
Once again, the key is to make sure everything is working at home before you head off to the comp.

-NCGrimbo

I'm still a little confused and it could be due to the lack of information I originally provided you.
Just to be clear, I have a wireless router from Fios that I use for my home network. I also have an old Linksys router that I flashed with DD-WRT firmware and connected to my Stoker to use as a bridge on my home network.
Now, when you say to bring my router to a comp, do you mean my home network router or the router that is connected to the stoker?

Back