Anybody else been on a pork butt hiatus?

I love cooking....I love bbq..and more to the point I love pork bbq and a good pork bbq sammich(in NC its just called bbq sammich).

HOWEVER, over the last several months the price of untreated natural pork butts, even at Sams, has been no lower than $1.68/lb and has sit over $2+ for the most part. I refuse to pay those prices as it defeats the whole idea of bbq to me when I can by ribs for less per pound and brisket for 20 cents more per pound.

Well.....today my hiatus is over my friends!!! It may not be .99 a pound but I got two natural butts in the cryo for $1.28/lb. And lemme tell ya I'm excited.

But, it got me to thinkin'. Has anyone else been either going without pork butts or at least smoking other meats more often due to the prices being closer???

.......Oh and butts go on in the next couple days. Pics shall follow.:clap2:

Have you tried Restaurant Depot in Charlotte? They have them frequently for less than what you have been paying, and if you buy in bulk the price drops even more. They should not be too far away from you if you are in Marion you can take 485 to Wilkinson and get there in about 45 minutes. You will need a membership, but you can probably get day passes.

Local Harris Teeter in Chapel Hill has SMithfield buts on sale for $.99/lb, go get you three or four...

Have you tried Restaurant Depot in Charlotte? They have them frequently for less than what you have been paying, and if you buy in bulk the price drops even more. They should not be too far away from you if you are in Marion you can take 485 to Wilkinson and get there in about 45 minutes. You will need a membership, but you can probably get day passes.

Yep, I love me some Restaurant Depot. That's where I got the beef ribs I posted a while back. Nearly got frost bite circling around that joint. LOL!!

It's fascinating to hear the differences in pork prices around the country. Here in NC you'd think the prices were universally lower just like beef is in Texas...but nope. It's also interesting that I can get spares already cut to st louis on sale from time to time for around 1.68/lb which is the current "sale" price for pork butt on average......however the folks in Raleigh are telling me they get .99/lb pork butt and much much higher spare rib prices.

Oh well.....I reckon we all have to ride whatever wave they send our way. Just had to see if anyone else was refraining from buying pork butt because 2.99/lb isn't rare here. That's not "a couple bucks". For a cryo pack of 18lbs that's over 30 bucks. Even at 1.78/lb it's over 9 bucks(all compared to the 1.28/lb I just got). Heck that's a decent steak I'm missing out on.:heh:

Last edited:
Can't say im in the same boat. I got a few in my freezer i picked up onsale at the giant for 99cents/lb

Harris Teeter has Smithfield Boston Butt for $.99 a pound.

I miss the south and those great deals on pork butts and shoulders. In the spring you had to ride with your windows rolled up, they were just throwing them at you. It's an awesome cut of meat, one of the few that freezing does not seem to affect.

I usually shop at our military commissary, prices there are around 1.08 to 2.08, you can't even find pork shoulder/butts consistently in markets here.

Saw some in a local Giant price at 4.58 a pound once, almost rang the bell to ask the meat manager if they were crazy.:lol:

Well considering my Family is on the health kick they are on.. i have been smoking Pork Loins, Chickens, Turkeys lately than anything.. can't remember the last time i smoked a pork butt. :shock:

I haven't had that problem as rainchecks are my friend!

Foodlion had a sale of $.99/lb. I went there one day and they were out of pork butts. I went and got a rain check and sent my roommate up to the store to get a rain check. I went in the next day and they were out still. I got another rain check and sent my roommate to get one as well. I went in the next day and bought up 8 pork butts and put them in the freezer. I just used the last one up just before Christmas.

I am going to buy 8 more at $.99/lb using 1 of my 4 rainchecks that don't expire!

I haven't had that problem as rainchecks are my friend!

Foodlion had a sale of $.99/lb. I went there one day and they were out of pork butts. I went and got a rain check and sent my roommate up to the store to get a rain check. I went in the next day and they were out still. I got another rain check and sent my roommate to get one as well. I went in the next day and bought up 8 pork butts and put them in the freezer. I just used the last one up just before Christmas.

I am going to buy 8 more at $.99/lb using 1 of my 4 rainchecks that don't expire!

OK.....I have NEVER heard of this. But, I'm seriously excited about it!! I've never been offered nor received a rain check.

OK.....I have NEVER heard of this. But, I'm seriously excited about it!! I've never been offered nor received a rain check.

That's because rainchecks are for old school hardcore shoppers... :lol:

You can still "lay-away" items at Wal-Mart and Sears. I was shocked they still did that with credit cards being so common. Overheard someone doing that at Walmart and flashed back to being a kid standing in a Kmart line with my mom to lay-away a winter coat and ugly sweaters.

Pretty spiffy rain check usage aawa!!! I bow to your thriftiness, now can I have some butt?

The trick to obtaining rain checks for meat is when there is a killer sale on the item go in the evening. Most people will have cleared out the meat for that day. Go to the service counter and tell them that you were looking for the item and it was out. They will write the raincheck for you. It shouldn't have an expiration date, but it will have the limitations of whatever the sale was (if limit 2 it will carry into the raincheck)

I also have rainchecks for spareribs from Foodlion as well for $1.19/lb. I used to have a couple buy one get one free rainchecks on baby backs from Harris Teeter. But I used them when they dropped the price for BB's to $1.99/lb so I paid $.99/lb on 6 racks of BBs.

I am all about getting meats that are onsale as I BBQ 2-3 times a week. My wallet isn't as thin as it should be since I'm always bargain shopping for meats.

i'm trying to break mine, but $1.49 is the best i can seem to find.

Back