Mim

This was on a thread yesterday.. not sure where it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Joes
Is there a website to fill out an application to compete in Memphis In May or is it another lottery competition?
http://www.memphisinmay.org/bbq

It will be here when they post it. Probably will be posted at the end of this month/ begining of Dec. It is a open lottery contest.

MIM auto admits the top 20 of each pork catagory from the year before. They also admit the Winners of each of the ancillary contests. From there it becomes a lottery, MIM gathers the remaining applications and on a specific day holds a blind lottery to pick who else will be given spots.

We are then sent emails and letters notifying us that we are in. Applications are turned in from Dec-Feb and they announce the spots in March. First time team meeting is in April (if you want to attend) and we start setting up a week before the contest on Saturday May 12th

What I meant was you had to win a pork catagory, grand, state etc. I talked to the org. who answered all my questions and Thanks, sounds like a crazy wonderful time!

I have heard the tails of it costing thousands. How is that possible? What is the entry fee does that include the lot where you will set up? I would like to try it just don't see the need to spend 10 grand when I could cook a dozen kcbs comps for that kinda money

I have heard the tails of it costing thousands. How is that possible? What is the entry fee does that include the lot where you will set up? I would like to try it just don't see the need to spend 10 grand when I could cook a dozen kcbs comps for that kinda money

This is why we offer fellow Brethren a chance to join the team for the contest. We spent $11,387.57 LAST YEAR ON THIS CONTEST. Many teams spent more than that. It really is like nothing you've seen. Its a mile long with booths (some 3 full floors high - with dance floors, full bars, kitchens, and eating areas) cranking out bbq 24/7. There are booths just there to party, and there are serious competitors there to win money...then you have people there for both, like us. It lasts Wed-Sat, and is in the Guniness Book as the "Worlds Largest Pork BBQ Contest". Over 84 tons of pork were cooked in 3 days by competitors the year it went in the book, since then estimates place the pork at over 100 tons.

There is over $110,000 in prize money, and is an all-round amazing time.

Yep our budjet was just under $8,000. Tent and floor rentals for your average "small" lot was $1500, registration was $1,500 once the side events were included Power at $160 porta potty at $120 (who want to share with 30,000 drunks), the list goes on and on. OMG our ice bill was a nightmare, the heat the first three days was nuts for this Artic boy. Your setting up the first three days with events Wednesday to Sunday teardown...

I wanna cook one meat category I have flooring and tents. What is the entry for just one category and what are the lot costs?

I posted the basic costs last year to the 2011 thread. I wanna say it starts at about $450 for Patio Porkers and $1,250 Pro. There was a deposit too, and ancillaries each cost. I'll see if I can dig up my post.

dmp

I wanna cook one meat category I have flooring and tents. What is the entry for just one category and what are the lot costs?

Ribs, Shoulder, or Whole Hog - smallest booth size 20x20 - $825
Patio Porkers cook Ribs only - 15x20 booth only - $625

Plus the $250 deposit

If you don't want to share a porto potty with 100,000 other people - $121

If you want electricity - $145 - for 1 20amp run

So thats the basic...you don't have ice, food, comp meat, gas, lodging, etc.

It gets crazy, but its a blast!

PS. - Patio Porkers - if you win, you have to go up to the pro the next year

Neil, Patio Porkers are blind judging only, right? For the record, I've heard tell from more than one person, you can change your head cook and stay Patio Porkers.

Neil, Patio Porkers are blind judging only, right? For the record, I've heard tell from more than one person, you can change your head cook and stay Patio Porkers.

Far as I know they are onsite also. Team wins, head cook and name has to move up to the big boys...least that has what I have been told. I'll ask Malcolm from Killer Hogs, they won Patio and had to move up.

Patio Porkers is blind judging only for the preliminary round, but Finals judging is on site by 4 judges at the same time just like the Pros.

Patio Porkers is blind judging only for the preliminary round, but Finals judging is on site by 4 judges at the same time just like the Pros.

I knew there was an onsite in there somewhere. Thanks QN!

Ponderosa BBQ team is cooking Memphis in may in 2012 I'm requesting the smallest spot just enough for my trailer and an ezup. It can get out of hand the costs but I had a wonderful time this year cooking with the shed.

Ponderosa BBQ team is cooking Memphis in may in 2012 I'm requesting the smallest spot just enough for my trailer and an ezup. It can get out of hand the costs but I had a wonderful time this year cooking with the shed.

Awesome Moe, Come by and visit if you get the chance!
Neil

Back