Zhu Bei Zi Zai (Pigs In A Blanket)--Surprise Inside Throwdown Entry

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Zhu Bei Zi Zai (Pigs In A Blanket)

I started with a nice hunk of pork belly. I love pork belly and thought it would make the perfect “pig” to stuff in the blanked. The pork belly was rubbed with a mixture of kosher salt, pepper and Chinese Five Spice Powder. I smoked the pork belly for 6 hours on the Traeger.

One of the great things about pork belly is that it has a great deal of fat flavor. Here it about 3 hours in and the fat has started to really render out nicely.

Not only did I want to change up Pigs In A Blanket I wanted to give it a Pig Candy treatment. So I coated the whole top of the pork belly with a nice layer of brown sugar. This caramelized perfectly and gave the pork a nice little crunch.

The pork belly was glazed with a Hoisin BBQ Glaze.

Hoisin Glaze

• 1/2 cup Ketchup
  • 1/4 cup Seasoned Rice Vinegar
  • 1 tbls Soy Sauce
  • 1 tbles Fish Sauce
  • 2 tbls Hoisin Sauce
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Brush on the pork belly every 20 minutes for the final hour of smoking.

After allowing the pork belly rested for 20 minutes I cut the pork belly into “egg roll” size pieces. Each piece of pork belly was wrapped in egg roll wrapper and fried.

They came out so good. The brown sugar and Hoisin Glaze worked fantastic. Served with a little Thai Sweet CHili Sauce and some Chinese Salad gave us a great Saturday night dinner.

Holy cra* that is a great invention. That looks like it could top my funnel cake in the "nutrition" department.

I really love the way you used the Asian ingredients.I might as well use my brie wheel for skeet shooting. Pull!!

Those pics look great, and like smoke said I like the mix in of the asian ingredients. Nicely done

Chit! Lets just give you the "throwdown" award right now!! No need to vote!
That looks surreal...betcha it even tasted better!!
Hey Larry, you give photog. lessons?

It's been a while since my eye's popped out of my head in this forum. Not because the post's have been ordinary... not at all, but it's not everyday that you see something truly original and inspiring. Just the way you did the belly was a lesson... and then the finishing... Holy Cow Brother... MOINK Balls are great, but you can just add another food trend to your list.:hail::hail::hail:

Full recipe please????

Cheers!

Bill

drooling%20smiley.gif

:hail: All hail the Grail! Those things look SLAMMIN!!!!!
Larry, you are the man!

Back