• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Spatchcock and First Pr0n

Fake Farmer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Followed a lot of advice from the brethren and this chicken came out beautifully! So juicy and delicious! Marinated in Italian Dressing over night. Skipped on the GrillMates Monterey Chicken Seasoning cause we were going to use some of the chicken for tacos later. Went with black pepper, coarse kosher salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. I think this combo is good on everything without painting yourself into a corner with flavor.

Did 350 indirect for about an hour and half. Hickory for smoke. About 10 minutes each side at the end over direct heat, but didn't get the crispy skin over everything like I wanted. Corn got EVOO and did one with salt, one with s&p, and one with Old Bay. Also did some asparagus. Sorry no money shot of meat opened up. Ran me about a half an hour longer than expected with the pouring rain.

Thanks for looking. Any and all suggestions welcome. Anything that will help me improve, and keep my wife asking me to grill is a bonus!

IMG_3392_zpsdd5e910c.jpg

IMG_3395_zps71012a24.jpg

IMG_3400_zpsd7c1f253.jpg

IMG_3403_zpsbe2acf48.jpg

IMG_3405_zpsabe27dc6.jpg

IMG_3438_zps91fab375.jpg

IMG_3439_zpse5bc612d.jpg

That looks great Fake Farmer. I haven't done a beer can chicken since I learned this method. Try cutting a small slit in the fold of skin between the thigh and back and tuck the legs in to it for an even nicer presentation.

That looks real good. Are you entering the Vets vs. Noobs Throwdown with this?

Not with this. I will be entering though. Never got a plated pic, and I know I can do better:-D

Got Beef short ribs on the menu this weekend and many more fun ideas.

Everything looks real good FF, I kinda lean towards fruit woods for poultry, try some apple next time you do this and compare.

Nice lookin' chix ya got there.

I saw that thread as well and did one last week. It turned out great as well.

Everything looks real good FF, I kinda lean towards fruit woods for poultry, try some apple next time you do this and compare.

Thanks NolanB. No apple available right now, but my brother is bringing me some next time he is up from VA. I see everyone using apple on here, and I'm excited to get it smokin'!

Thanks so much to all the brethren for advice and encouragement. Look forward to sharing more meals together!

I'd skip the apple and go straight to cherry!

Back