Here is a pic of my build, I know I posted it in a different thread a few days ago but never did here. This thread is where it all started for me... so thanks everyone.

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

The one of the left was the first one I build... within a week I was cooking for enough That I had to make another.

Thanks again for all the help and Info.

Thanks. Good food so far, however i still need to work on temp control!

Hello and let me say this is my first post, I just built a UDS over this past weekend and I am getting ready to do the first big burn it this thing. Without going back through all 326 pages what would you guys estimate the number of regular size pallets I should get to do the burn. I got a hit on some and told them to hold 10 for me, will that be enough? Thanks and again this is a great site. Chief
I used 3 pallets and about 5 pieces of split oak. I would make sure the pallets were not chemically treated for overseas shipments. jmo
my drum held mineral oil from a bakery.

I was on my way back from Memphis to Atlanta today and stopped at a Farmer Co-op and found an open top food grade barrel for $20. It looks like it has a liner in it, like a dark rust brown color. Never the less I can't say how excited I am to put one together.

IMAG0129.jpg
Basket weber 18.5 coal grill wrap expanded metal
IMAG0131.jpg

Colman firepit top welded on top of lid
IMAG0135.jpg

custom flame job
IMAG0137.jpg
Ready to go sponsored by Bill's Gambling Hall & Saloon ready for first cook this weekend how do i go about seasoning? can, should I eat the food the first cook? Anybody else have the damn needle fall off the thermo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Donor Drum Lid

Thanks for the response on the making of a donor drum lid.:-D

Now it looks like i gotta buy an anvil. :shock:

Unless someone has a better idea, I really hope so, anvils are $60 at harbor freight.

I was wondering if anyone had pit an inner rim around the donor lid to make it fit and seal. Just a thought.

I was in sheet metal job shops for about 15 years, but, alas no brake, no shear, no 1/2 million 32 die cnc punch press now if I had access to one the old shops...:frown:, well it wouldn't be a UDS then would it, it would be art.

Anyway, I'm looking to getting around to making two or more of these.

I do have another question. :confused:

I've been cooking using LP on an Smokey Mountain smoker for the last couple of years, so i'm not familiar with charcoal either lump or brickette.
I've seen postings that have raised the problems of too much moisture in the charcoal wreaking havock on uneven burns.

Here's the question .... ( I know some of you are glad I finally got there)
If it's stored in the garage or even an extra drum with a lid could you still end up with a moisture problem? :icon_blush:

Anvil or not

Well botherbd, I actually did not use an anvil on the first top I beat up. A cut off piece of wood like a 2x8 worked well. 3/4" plywood would work also. Just laid it on a cement step, knelt down and banged away. Worked fine. On the second one, I put a chunk of
1 1/2" thick steel on the work bench and pounded on that. Worked well but made a lot more noise. No need to buy an anvil, the wood will work as a base and result in softer noises too!

jednalf
just rub down the inside with bacon to season. I rubbed mine and thru in a fatty just for good measure. I guess it was fit to eat, I'm still here to post about it?

Anvil or not

Well botherbd, I actually did not use an anvil on the first top I beat up. A cut off piece of wood like a 2x8 worked well. 3/4" plywood would work also. Just laid it on a cement step, knelt down and banged away. Worked fine. On the second one, I put a chunk of
1 1/2" thick steel on the work bench and pounded on that. Worked well but made a lot more noise. No need to buy an anvil, the wood will work as a base and result in softer noises too!

As to the moisture thing. I use Wicked Good Lump and have for years. It's kept in an enclosed but unheated space under my living room. No problems yet. I've heard briquettes can absorb moisture from the air and then won't burn well. If they get rained on and really get wet, I think they may just fall apart. Don't really know though. If you keep the charcoal in a tight container all should be well.

Sorry about the semi-double post.

i completed my first UDS last night(it happened trust me). I bought a cheap 22.5" grill grate from menards. It has a shiney black coating on it, do i need to burn that off before i cook on it.

BD, the fit on the donor drum top is quite good on mine, kind of a friction fit. As the top slides over the drums lip, it snugs up nicely and there are no leaks.
I've never seen any smoke coming out where the two parts meet and have not noticed any temp spikes either. Originally was gonna use a gasket but it's tight enough without one.

Thanks for the response on the making of a donor drum lid.:-D

Now it looks like i gotta buy an anvil. :shock:

Unless someone has a better idea, I really hope so, anvils are $60 at harbor freight.

I was wondering if anyone had pit an inner rim around the donor lid to make it fit and seal. Just a thought.

I was in sheet metal job shops for about 15 years, but, alas no brake, no shear, no 1/2 million 32 die cnc punch press now if I had access to one the old shops...:frown:, well it wouldn't be a UDS then would it, it would be art.

Anyway, I'm looking to getting around to making two or more of these.

I do have another question. :confused:

I've been cooking using LP on an Smokey Mountain smoker for the last couple of years, so i'm not familiar with charcoal either lump or brickette.
I've seen postings that have raised the problems of too much moisture in the charcoal wreaking havock on uneven burns.

Here's the question .... ( I know some of you are glad I finally got there)
If it's stored in the garage or even an extra drum with a lid could you still end up with a moisture problem? :icon_blush:

A) An anvil from HF is not an anvil, it's a horrible mockery of an anvil that was brought into this world with evil intent and bad juju. :eek: You don't need an anvil, hammer it out on a concrete pad or a piece of wood like smokin d suggests.

B) The moisture problem with charcoal is from leaving the unburnt charcoal in the firebasket between cooks. Charcoal soaks up ambient moisture in the air pretty well, so consider getting a metal bucket with a tight fitting lid to put the unused charcoal into. That will serve two functions: (1) reuse unused charcoal (2) trap the charcoal and prevent you from burning your house down with a piece that didn't apper to be lit.

Charcoal comes in paper bags because the bags absorb the moisture before the charcoal does.

95% of cooking outdoors well is proper fire management. Just get going wit' it and you'll learn what to do and what not to do real quick. :) My guess as to why people suggest to smoke ABTs and fatties and Armadillo eggs first is because they are pretty hard to ruin from practice heat. Easier to ruin from bad smoke though....

Good luck and have fun! :-D

Smoker #1

My first UDS. I got the barell from a place that refinishes them,no liner.I welded a 1/8 by 3/4 inch band of steel around the top inside edge leaving 1/2 inch sticking up to fit the Weber lid. I welded the entire wheel assembly from a Weber to the bottom. I made a 2 inch id carburator style air intake,works well. The grill supports are 1 1/2 inch pieces of angle weled to the barell. Thanks for all the tips on this forum..Here's a link to some pictures...http://picasaweb.google.com/mikehanson0/Uds

That's a Fine Looking Smoker!!!
Love that Air Intake!!!

My first UDS. I got the barell from a place that refinishes them,no liner.I welded a 1/8 by 3/4 inch band of steel around the top inside edge leaving 1/2 inch sticking up to fit the Weber lid. I welded the entire wheel assembly from a Weber to the bottom. I made a 2 inch id carburator style air intake,works well. The grill supports are 1 1/2 inch pieces of angle weled to the barell. Thanks for all the tips on this forum..Here's a link to some pictures...http://picasaweb.google.com/mikehanson0/Uds

ok, having a tough time finding a lid for the uds build. Nothing on craigs or anywhere around here. That's the prob with small town wyo. Can someone direct me to where I could purchase something that would work online? I think I read someone got a lid at Target somewhere maybe. Have done searches at lowes and other places and I can't find anything.

any help where to look would be appreciated.

thanks

So should we refer to you as crappie or mike for short?

Anyway, way to go on your steel band modification. That's the way to do it.

As far as the air inlet, it looks a little difficult. I have previously offered a simpler but similar means for providing inlet air via the attached pictures. Has anyone else ever tried this approach? Yeah I know; not enough wheels :rolleyes:

Last edited:
UDS lid

I just bit the bullet an bought a new 22.5 Weber on sale at " Fleetfarm" for $75 on sale. Used the lid, grill rack ,wheels etc..mike

OK...got most of what I need to start my UDS but im nervous a little. Im wondering about me cutting the top off of this thing. I only have a hammer and chisel. What Im wondering about is if I want to use the lid I cut off, do I cut it off inside of the lip or UNDER the lip? Any tips on the best way you get it cut with a chisel since Ive never used one before? Stupid questions, I know, but Im a noob.

Back