Thoughts on WSM?

If you are going to burn lump you will need a second charcoal grate set perpendicular to the first. It keeps the small pieces of lump from falling through the grate.

^^^^ second the grate suggestion. Use U-Bolts and you'll have handles to manage it with. I have the cajun bandit door and am glad I do.

Last edited:
I have two 18.5" WSMs. I only have tow of the same because I found a good deal on a used on on craigslist and didnt want to spend the money on a 22.5. If you are going to only have one, get the 22.5. You will be sorry (as i was) if you get the 18.5 and then want to cook for more people. For instance with rib racks, I can only get about 8 racks on one 18.5". Hope this helps.

18.5 is great for what i do. I will likely get another or a 22.5 at some point. Super satisfied with the WSM though.

I really don't get this whole "ask permission" thing.

Unless she is co-signing a note for the WSM I say buy it "for us" (no permission needed) and get smoking.

Happy wife, happy life. Its going to happen but if its her idea I spend less time in the doghouse.

No must do mods but there are many possible mods to consider. You can use it right out of the box. You don't even need a break in cook!

It may tend to run hot the first few cooks until sufficient gunk builds up to get a good seal on the joints so plan your cooks accordingly.

Drawbacks? Not good if you're trying to lose weight. :hungry:

Drawbacks? Not good if you're trying to lose weight. :hungry:

+1!!

I'm currently on a diet and have lost 102lbs as of today. But my 22.5 WSM has been leaving ominous notes on my door and at night I can hear scratches on my bedroom window.:bolt:

I have the 22.5 and like it ok. IF I could do it over again I would spend more money and get an egg or other ceramic grill and be done with it, this way you can smoke, bake, Grill etc and have a lifetime warranty to boot. Just my 2 cents

You can't go wrong with either size. I prefer the 22.5 just for the additional capacity.

I got the 22 and I think like pigout. If I could do it all over again I would have went with an egg. Next spring I will have an XL BGE on my back porch!!

I have the 18 1/2 WSM. It works great, but I find myself wanting something with better access and more shelving.

Egg versus Primo. One is "Made in USA" just saying.

I purchased an 18.5 wsm about 3 months ago and there hasn't been a weekend that i have not smoked something. That being said i wish it had wheels only bc i dont have a covered area above the smoker unless i plan ahead and put in garage. I cut a slot in the lip for the temp probes, and first few cooks have been pork butts. Last night i did a Boston butt and 4 racks of ribs, 2 beef and 2 spares cut into St. Louis style. I am tending to do bigger cooks so i wish i had the 22". However i am expecting my stumps smoker in 3 weeks now!

I had the same debate last winter. Ended up getting the 22.5 because I knew that at some point, I personally, was going to "wish I had gotten the bigger cooker" I think you have been given some good advice here, and it is really going to boil down to personal preference. Whatever you decide, you won't go wrong with the cooker, its a good one...

Back