Brisket Dry Rub

NCGuy68

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Howdy Fellow Qers,

I'am deep in Hog country and Birds run a close second. Beef isn't slow smoked too much in my neck of the woods and in my case its because of high red meat prices.

However, I scored a small (3.1 LB) brisket point on sale for cheap $$. Problem is, I don't have a 'Nice' Bovine dry rub for it.

Would anyone like to share a Home-Grown Brisket Dry Rub Recipe that might be happy with Southern Red/White Oak or Hickory?

All Suggestions are Appreciated.

Coarse ground black pepper & kosher salt 50/50 some granulated garlic too, eyeball the garlic easy and tasty.

If this is your first brisket, you can't go wrong with a simple S&P rub. Everyone should try that at least once, then build off of that.

Thanks Gents.

It sounds like 'just keep it simple' nothing exotic. Right? Or am I missing something?

I also like adding some lemon pepper to that basic rub. Best of luck with the cook!

Salt and pepper and try adding one spice at a time to go with whatever you are cooking. This should help in your choice.

Attachments

• Herb_and_Spice_Chart.pdf
    233 KB · Views: 38
Great H & S chart Mark - Thanks.

I hear Ya Johnny - you Texans usually do Bovine Justice.

Heres what I'am going with:

2 TBS Kosher Salt.
2 TBS Turbinado Sugar.
1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper.
1 tsp Garlic Powder.
1 tsp Onion Powder.
1 tsp Smoked Paprika.

Slather on the yellow mustard and add the above. Wrap and into the Frig overnight.

Then my Sweetie said, "If your gonna do that cow, you better do that 8LB Boston Butt in the freezer". No problem I'am thinking - I know my way around a Hog....:biggrin1:

I appreciate all the help and suggestions Gents.

Enjoy your Q.

Great H & S chart Mark - Thanks.

I hear Ya Johnny - you Texans usually do Bovine Justice.

Heres what I'am going with:

2 TBS Kosher Salt.
2 TBS Turbinado Sugar.
1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper.
1 tsp Garlic Powder.
1 tsp Onion Powder.
1 tsp Smoked Paprika.

Slather on the yellow mustard and add the above. Wrap and into the Frig overnight.

Then my Sweetie said, "If your gonna do that cow, you better do that 8LB Boston Butt in the freezer". No problem I'am thinking - I know my way around a Hog....:biggrin1:

I appreciate all the help and suggestions Gents.

Enjoy your Q.

Remember the pics/pRon!

I like some light brown sugar in my rub , garlic powder , onion powder, kosher salt , black pepper , wet brisket with worchestisire sauce then apply rub , make sure when using sugar you keep your heat below 300*

Brisket only needs Salt & Pepper, Sugar got no place around it, If you cook it right the natural sugar in the meat and Fat will form the Sugar Cookie in that thin Fat layer that ya'll scrape off.. Oh the uneducated:tsk:

just throwing out ideas , most brisket rubs contain sugar , so to each his own

This is what I use on Brisket and it's great.

For dry rub
1/2 cup paprika
3 tablespoons ground black pepper
3 tablespoons coarse salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder

For what it's worth

I normally make my own brisket rubs because they tend to be simple. Kosher salt, course ground pepper or normal ground is fine if that is what you have, some garlic and onion powder. Experiment with different mixtures. I normally start by doing half and half salt & pepper. Then add the garlic and onion powders to taste.

Back