• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Shrimp and grits fatty question...

Mdboatbum

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking this might be my next attempt. Home made Andouille as the sausage, sprinkled with sharp cheddar. An extra thick batch of grits run through the sausage stuffer with the big (3/4"?) tube so I have a "link" of grits. Obviously no casing, I'll just extrude it onto a plate, make it the length of the fatty, then refrigerate so it "gels". Large shrimps chopped into 1/2" chunks, and seasoned with S&P, cayenne and paprika. Maybe spritz on a little bourbon.
So for assembly, sausage flattened out to the size of a gallon ziplock. Cheese sprinkled on that. Grits link on one end, followed by 1/2 pound of chopped shrimps spread on the rest. Rolled, and then wrapped in a bacon weave or if I can find it super thin sliced tasso. My question is if I take it to 160˚ internal, will the shrimps be done? i don't want them overdone, but I don't want them raw either.

Those grits will swell depending on the recipe your using.

160 is fine for the shrimps. 140 minimum.

Sounds like a good plan!

sounds like a winner. another variation would be to chop and season the shrimp, mis with the grits then extrude it.

Look for cowgirls fatty plunger stuffer thing. It would work great for your idea. It essentially is a PVC pipe that you pack full of stuff and refrigerate so it is solid. Then you have a smaller plunger that you force it out with and it is a nice cylinder.

You don't need to extrude it. Here is what I would do.

Partially cook and cool the shrimp in ice water. Set aside.

Cook grits fully and keep a little on the thick side.

Lay out a piece of butcher paper (by now, we all have some) or a paper bag, then out a layer of thick plastic wrap over it. Spread the semi-cooled grits onto the plastic in a ribbon about 2" in from one edge, place shrimp into grits.

Roll the plastic wrap, using the paper to assit in keeping it smooth, and wrap until all plastic wrap is tightly rolled. Grab ends and roll until sausage is formed.

Chill or ice bath until thickened. This is just like making compound butter but, thicker and with grits, cheese and shrimp.

Can't wait to see some pics. I love shrimp and grits. Would love to try making this as I only get them when I visit family in SC. Never see them in MA!

Back