• Black Pepper Smoked Ham

:shocked: :clap2:

That is seriously inspirational. I've been buying pepper rind hams and doing the double smoke thing with 'em. I will be doing this - soon! :hungry: (at least as soon as my family gets over the ham we've been eating for the past week :doh:)

Thanks gtr! The ham really came out great. The black pepper wasn't harsh at all! Mellowed out nicely. Went very well with the ham flavor. I can see how you've been indulging in these for a while. :thumb:

Good lookin' eats right there! I've never brined anything except poultry before, maybe I'm missing out on something.

Well it's more of a cure than a brine. Curing salt is used and that's something you wouldn't use when brining poultry.

Alright come on big boy, give us the general steps/ingredients and most of us will figure it from there. No secret recipes needed.

OK Sorry guys, It's been a pretty busy day. Have not been avoiding spilling the beans.

Here's a great base to start from.

For a 12-15lb ham use:
1 Gallon Water
1.5 cup Kosher Salt
2 cup Brown Sugar
1.5 oz Cure #1 (Pink salt)

That's a good base for your brine. Add whatever spices & herbs you want. Add any un-crushed spices you'd like (eg cloves, cinnamon, allspice, peppercorns, garlic, chilis) to hot water & stir to dissolve (Make sure to dissolve the pink salt first). Cover & steep for a bit then put it in the fridge and let it cool to 40˚ before adding meat. Brine for 2 lbs a day (12lb ham = 6 days) Then you remove from the brine, wash it off, dry it & smoke + glaze. There you go.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

^^^Thanks! I'll be doing this before the month is out for sure! :clap2:

Awesome thanks for the info. I'm planning on giving it a go with a picnic portion, or a boned and heavily trimmedbutt. Which do you think would be better?

ham

Very nice! Pretty much the base I us also. We love pork butt Hams and Bacon. And the price around here is a third or less. Don't know if you tried them yet, But I bought some silicon bands for doing them. Like a rubber band but will take high heat and reusable.

first of all thanks for sharing your recipe. The question I have is, the recipe calls for 1.5oz of cure #1, is this by weight or measure? Also, I'm assuming that your cure #1 is the standard commercial mixture of salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite. The cure I bought calls for 1/4 tsp per pound, but I think that is for sausage and not a wet cure. Thanks

first of all thanks for sharing your recipe. The question I have is, the recipe calls for 1.5oz of cure #1, is this by weight or measure? Also, I'm assuming that your cure #1 is the standard commercial mixture of salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite. The cure I bought calls for 1/4 tsp per pound, but I think that is for sausage and not a wet cure. Thanks

Hey Jonesy, When you are making a curing brine the ratios are going to be a bit different. I'm not sure about the details for the cure that you have. I know that for my cure (and I'm pretty sure they are standard) It's 1tsp/5lbs for a dry cure on meat, say for bacon. But when you start to dilute it in a solution you have to add more. When you look around online there are many different ratios of doing it but I stay on the lower end of the scale at 1.5 to 2oz (by weight) to a gallon of water, and I cure at a rate of 1.5 to 2 lbs a day.

Hope that helps Brother.
Cheers

Ran the rest of the ham through the food slicer for sammys! Still amazed how much I'm liking this black peppered ham! Thought I'd put up the pics.

498499ff.jpg

5bfc7b8a.jpg

Thanks for lookin.
Cheers

Omg... this one looks fantastic, too! :-D

Phrasty, that looks amazing! :clap2:

Thanks for sharing this - I'd like to give this a try sometime very SOON.

fantastic! I just got a food slicer and am looking for ideas and tips, and this is the ticket right here! I am going to give this a whirl for sure

Back