Citrus Wood for Ribs

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We had a 100 year freeze here this last Spring. I had a Grapefruit tree that too a hard hit that gave me enough wood for several smokes. Driving the neighborhood I found more Citrus wood on the curb for disposal.

Not sure what I picked up, it could be Grapefruit, Orange or maybe Lime. I have some Spares I plan on cooking this weekend.

How do you think the Citrus would go with them?

I use orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit all the time for smoking Grapefruit and orange are really good on pork. Collect it all and enjoy!

I don't know about seasoning, I buy chips and chunks from some guy who's family owns orchards and most of it is pretty green, never a problem and always good flavor.

I use citrus all the time... it's a nice smoke, mellow and compliments other woods nicely. I think it burns better than oak in a fireplace.

I had some for trade a while back, but no one seemed interested....

There is another wood that overlooked for other than the obvious reason that's it's federally protected - salt marsh mangrove wood. The old timers used it in Florida to smoke mullet. Please don't look too deeply in the wood pile, I might get in trouble! :) I'm going to try to smoke some mullet this winter. I'll dutifully make a report to the forum.

RMR

Smoked mullet is great! I am in Melbourne, you still have some citrus to trade?

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1023852&catid=1

Fish, Mullet, Smoked, Richard Fl.
c:%5CProgram%20Files%5CRadium%20Technologies%5CLiving%20Cookbook%5CImages%5CRecipe51081.jpg
INGREDIENTS:
26 Filets Mullet, Skin On Brine:
1 Cup Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 Cup Favorite Seasoning *************
Indian River Rainbow Pepper
Maple Sugar Pepper
Cajun Creole Seasoning

PROCEDURE:
c:%5CProgram%20Files%5CRadium%20Technologies%5CLiving%20Cookbook%5CImages%5CRecipe51081-1.jpg
Brine the fish for 12 hours, overnight. Rinse, dry.
c:%5CProgram%20Files%5CRadium%20Technologies%5CLiving%20Cookbook%5CImages%5CRecipe51081-2.jpg
Set BGE up indirect, 200°F, cherry chips. Cooked 2 1/2 hours, internal temperature 150°F apprx. ************************************* 1
c:%5CProgram%20Files%5CRadium%20Technologies%5CLiving%20Cookbook%5CImages%5CRecipe51081-3.jpg
2011/08/07--Richard Fl--Did a batch of skinned mullet today with cherry wood, indirect with water drip pan @ 200°F. Check after 2 hours and if they are getting too dry remove. Try not to use too much spicy seasoning. Recipe Type Appetizer, Fish, Seafood Recipe Source
Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2011/01/08

I use citrus all the time... it's a nice smoke, mellow and compliments other woods nicely. I think it burns better than oak in a fireplace.

I had some for trade a while back, but no one seemed interested....

There is another wood that overlooked for other than the obvious reason that's it's federally protected - salt marsh mangrove wood. The old timers used it in Florida to smoke mullet. Please don't look too deeply in the wood pile, I might get in trouble! :) I'm going to try to smoke some mullet this winter. I'll dutifully make a report to the forum.

RMR
I use citrus a lot as well. Have a guy close by clearing an old citrus field. I have a big root ball that I haven't even made a dent in yet.

BTW, where exactly is that wood pile and I expect an invite for the mullet!

Back