• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Chili

Wrench_H

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know that there are probably as many different ways to make brisket chili as there are people on this site, but this is my version.

I started with anaheims and jalepenos - I like a little heat, but would probably be considered as wuss compared to some of you guys. Sometimes I roast these on the grill, and sometimes in the oven. These were done in the oven.

DSC03231.jpg

Next I cube up the brisket - this one was leftover from our last competition, and there was a lot.

DSC03244.jpg

Here are the peppers out of the oven and again all sliced up. I read somewhere a while back that chili was originally called chili as it was a way to showcase chilis, and the meat and beans were just filler. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it has been the basis form my thoughts on chili since.

DSC03247.jpg

DSC03248.jpg

Next I added a beer, fat tire this time since that was what I had in the fridge.

DSC03249.jpg

We had some fresh tomatoes, so I added those as well. If I don't have these, I use canned peeled and diced.

DSC03251.jpg

Lastly, I added all of the spices seen here. Thanks GTR for the wonderful chili pepper. Its been a huge hit around here.

DSC03253.jpg

Here it is all simmering away. I like to let it sit for at least 3 or 4 hours if not longer.

DSC03255.jpg

DSC03256.jpg

No plated pics, but my preference is with some cheddar cheese and sour cream. So this is how I do chili, thanks for looking.

Great lookin' chili there!

When it gets cold i get a hankerin' to whup up a batch of chili. Temps in the 70s (in December) has thrown off my cookin'.

Great lookin' chili there!

When it gets cold i get a hankerin' to whup up a batch of chili. Temps in the 70s (in December) has thrown off my cookin'.

Same here!! I still have a jalapeno plant out front flowering and putting out peppers!

I'd still hit a few bowls of that chili. Nice and hearty looking. Stick to yer ribs consistency. Me likey!:biggrin1:

looks awesome, i've never made chili with leftover brisket. obviously i'm missing out :mrgreen:

You need to fix that ASAP - nothing like brisket chili!

Glad you're digging the powder - that's looks like a mighty fine pot o' chili right there! :clap2:

The great thing about chili is it just gets better with each passing day. :thumb:

Yup. I really like to make chili at least one day ahead of time. It always seems better the day after the cook.

THAT looks great. Was it pretty spicy or did roasting the chilis help tame them down a bit? LOTSA peppers for sure!

THAT looks great. Was it pretty spicy or did roasting the chilis help tame them down a bit? LOTSA peppers for sure!

It was pretty tame. The anaheims have little to no heat, so the heat was just from the japs. I like hot, but not painful hot.

How was the Chili powder and how much did you use in a pot? I just ordered a bag of Dixon and one of Hatch 1# bags. Looks great and I just froze 5# of brisket last night :shock:

How was the Chili powder and how much did you use in a pot? I just ordered a bag of Dixon and one of Hatch 1# bags. Looks great and I just froze 5# of brisket last night :shock:

It has great taste, and not too hot. I usually just use whatever the grocery store has, but this seems a little fresher and doesn't have that distinct almost burnt taste that the cheap stuff has. I didn't measure, but probably about 2 tablespoons in that pot.

Very nice! Wish I had a couple ladels of that to make a Cincinati 5 way right now. That stuff looks great.
Now that I think of it. Id have to keep it at a 4 way!

It has great taste, and not too hot. I usually just use whatever the grocery store has, but this seems a little fresher and doesn't have that distinct almost burnt taste that the cheap stuff has. I didn't measure, but probably about 2 tablespoons in that pot.

Thanks. I had been using Carol Shelby and the last time was Six Guns. Both make a great chili, but this looks to be a few notches above and a must try.

Back