Almost Lost Everything Brethren. EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Brethren I had a very close call yesterday. I made a bad mistake and just want to post this here so that hopefully someone will learn from it. I almost burned up my Dad's entire 10 acres of land.

It was a mistake I made while using the stickburner that some of you have seen the posts about the modifications I've been making to it.

I know alot of you preheat your wood by sitting it on top of the firebox. If you continue to do this PLEASE do not leave the pit unattended. That is what I did. I went inside to prep some chicken, and when I came out there was a grass fire and it was spreading fast. The wood on top of the firebox had ignited fell of and caught the grass on fire. There are a lot of unnecessary details in between that I will leave out, but long story short about two hours and a bunch of help from the fire department later we had about three acres of this.uploadfromtaptalk1297612267778.jpg

Thank the good Lord no one was hurt and no real damage was done, but I cannot stress this enough unless you are using a pit that is meant to be left unattended or unless you have taken all precautions possible, just don't do it. It probably would not have happened if my firebox had a flat top on it, instead of this.uploadfromtaptalk1297612587985.jpg

I did cook a bunch of food and bring it to the firefighters yesterday, but that will be in another post.

I'm not saying that any of you would have made the mistake that I did, but this was very very close. Another 5-10 minutes and I don't know if we could have stopped it from reaching the house.

Please be careful Brethren. Thats all I'm saying.

I'm glad it turned out like it did. Your words are sound advice that everyone needs to listen to.

Wow, close call-I think all of us can learn from what happened to you. It's easy to get complacent & think that since you've been doing this awhile, that accidents won't happen, but they do-I'm just glad that you're ok & things didn't turn out any worse. My son just got his drivers license permit & he thinks he's got everything under control, but I keep stressing that accidents happen to everyone, even good drivers, & you just have to be prepared.

Good thing your smoker was not set up a wood deck attached to the house! I like having mine on Concrete.

Glad no one got hurt! That was great taking the fireman food!

Crazy thing is that I keep a big baking sheet pan full of water under the firebox. Guess it wasn't big enough.

Indeed. Just another reason I won't be trying remote cooking via a Stoker or Guru. Really gotta be on-site and alert when there's a fire going. Glad it wasn't worse, bro!

Dang! Glad it didn't lead to any injury or damage any structures. I'll be the firefighters are ultimately glad it happened though, seeing as how they got some good eats out of the deal.

Every once in a while it seems we all need to experience something that turns into a golden learning opportunity. It is indeed nice when comes along that no one is hurt, and or no real harm done. Thankfully yours turned out good on both accounts.

Sorry this happened but it is a good lesson for all of us who play with fire. Fire is dangerous. Last year I left the lid off my UDS trying to get the temps up fast for some steaks. I went inside to season and grab the steaks when my sister came over and we started talking. You know where I'm going with this, grease from the butt and chicken I had on earlier ignited and by the time I remembered that I left the lid off part off my back porch was smoking. Nothing like the scent of burning pressure treated lumber. No real damage but lesson learned. Respect fire.

Hope you did not get a citation or bill.

wow, that's a whole lot of grass under that smoker. I'd make a clearing of that area under and around that smoker.

Back