More Chicken Piri Piri

Sillius Sodus

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
As Piri Piri seems to be the flavor of the moment, I figured that I would join in the fray...I have two great South Afrikaner friends that I showed the various Piri Piri threads to and after much discussion, decided to make my own sauce. One of the things that I got from our conversations is that Piri Piri sauce will vary from person to person and family to family. With their help, this is mine...

Oh yeah, cue the music...the just released disc by Palms (self titled) is perfect.

Unfortunately, I could not source any African Birds Eye chili's, so I had to make due with Thai hot chili peppers.

My ingredients:

*Thai hot chili peppers
*Yellow onion
*Fresh lime juice
*Fresh garlic
*Fresh flat leaf parsley
*White wine vinegar
*Kosher salt
*Smoked sweet paprika

After putting all in the food processor, here (per discussion) is the resulting semi smooth/semi chunky sauce:

20130624_224523_zps91da488a.jpg

After this mixture sat in the fridge for two days, I placed nine skinless, boneless thighs into the bag and marinated them for almost six hours.

Out to the grill - with some new coconut charcoal:

PiriPiri2013002_zps728f5410.jpg

As I'd read that these coconut briquets get pretty hot, I used only half of a chimney. Here, waiting for the coconut briquets to ash over:

PiriPiri2013012_zpseff3d877.jpg

PiriPiri2013013_zps89511862.jpg

On the grill:

PiriPiri2013017_zps8db7b2a9.jpg

PiriPiri2013018_zps3b8eae25.jpg

PiriPiri2013021_zpsfba4740d.jpg

On the plate, with snow peas from my garden and Mulderbosh Chenin Blanc:

PiriPiri2013022_zps9e6db203.jpg

BTW, I reduced the leftover marinade to an almost paste like substance and used it as extra topping for the chicken. Awesome.

Thanks for stopping by and looking! :grin:

Thanks guys! It's unbelievable how easy this sauce is to make - I'm not sure why anybody would buy this pre-made.

This should be even better today...

My ingredients:

*Thai hot chili peppers
*Yellow onion
*Fresh lime juice
*Fresh garlic
*Fresh flat leaf parsley
*White wine vinegar
*Kosher salt
*Smoked sweet paprika

After putting all in the food processor..

Sure seems to me that piri piri sauce should have piri piri peppers (aka birds beak peppers) in it.

seattlepitboss

That looks great. Can you let us know the amount you used of each ingredient?

Happily...

*14 Thai hot chili peppers
*1 chopped large yellow onion
*1 cup fresh lime juice (I used 8 limes)
*1 bulb of garlic (the bulb I used had 11 cloves)
*1 cup of unchopped flat leaf parsley
*1/2 cup white wine vinegar
*2 Tbs kosher salt
*4 Tbs smoked sweet paprika

Sure seems to me that piri piri sauce should have piri piri peppers (aka birds beak peppers) in it.

seattlepitboss

I guess in your haste to see the photos (!), you and buccaneer forgot to read the text:

Unfortunately, I could not source any African Birds Eye chili's, so I had to make due with Thai hot chili peppers.
Real African Birds Eye chili peppers (not the Mexican Chile de arbol/birds beak pepper) would have been great...

I have to say this maranaide sounds awesome! I just saved the recipe can't wait to try it out. Think it would do pork chops just as well?

Back