• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

To Freeze or not to Freeze

Eggspert

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I bought some competition rub in bulk. I broke up the large size into smaller sizes for each competition and vacuum sealed the smaller bags, now I am wondering if I should freeze the rub or just leave it at room temperature. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Eggspert

I agree about darkness as Scottie mentioned..I've left different rubs in the sun at comps and in just a few hours it will have lost all of it's color..and I mean white..has this happened to anyone else?

I have been called anal for this but I store my rubs in a ziplock bag, inside of an airtight container, in my humidity controlled windowless basement. :becky:

It sounds like a lot I know but I get most of my rubs sent in 5lb bags. After I open the bag I dump the rest into a gallon ziplock and I just keep them together in a clear cambro or Rubbermaid food container that goes down on a shelf in the basement along with all of my other competition supplies. Before each contest I measure out as much of each as I need into shakers and I'm good to go.

:rockon:

I agree about darkness as Scottie mentioned..I've left different rubs in the sun at comps and in just a few hours it will have lost all of it's color..and I mean white..has this happened to anyone else?

White? That's crazy never seen that before... I always vacuum seal my rub in 1lb bags and put them in the back of the pantry out of the light.

White? That's crazy never seen that before... I always vacuum seal my rub in 1lb bags and put them in the back of the pantry out of the light.

Yep and it's happened to different brands too..it's something with the sun and it can happen in just a few hours..weird stuff I know but it's true

I was in a BBQ store a few years back and all the rubs that were in the sunlight all were faded.No purchase that day.I just went out to clean up the table next to the cooker and all the rub spilled there this morning is grey.

Don't freeze. Dark cool area like others suggested.

We buy rubs in 5lb bags and snip a corner. We pour out what we will use for a cook, then place the 5lb bag into a food saver bag that we purposely make about 1 foot too long. Vac seal and store. When we need more rub, we cut off the top portion of the bag, just under the seal. Take what we need and reseal. We usually get about 12-15 uses out of that one vac bag.

Back