2012 Rules

The method used to get meat done should not matter one bit as long as the meat has been inspected before prepping AND a legal fuel source is used.

Maybe this rules discussion is the result of wanting to add gas cookers into the mix.

Benny

With the new season getting underway with a fresh set of rules and a new board, I'd like to open a discussion on rule 8

8.Parboiling, deep-frying and sous-vide cooking competition
meat is not allowed.

I'm looking for a clear definition of the 3 illegal cooking methods.

would be a lot harder to explain having a demi-water oven in ones cook site though I do believe......if you want a clean explination of the rules, as written, write the board member who is on the rules committee and ask them....I am sure that you will get a clear definition of the rules....

My belief is deep frying is completely submerged in fat and cooked at a high temp. Most "butter" baths I've seen (and I use a kind of variation) only have MAYBE a quarter inch of liquid in the pan when it melts. I use about six teaspoons in a half pan, hardly able to be considered deep frying, especially given the fact that I highly doubt the butter ever gets hot enough to boil and "fry". There is more liquid in my foil pouch when I open up my butts than there is in my chicken and no one questions that as deep frying.

All that being said, I appreciate the discussion as a co-chair on the rules committee with Dave, George and Steve. There are several words that, in my opinion, KCBS uses in rules that should be defined. I also am of the opinion that the rules should include a section of defined words as well. These three are great candidates for that list.

Sorry El Pist, but that's Merriam-Webster's definition, not mine (as noted in my post). Also, in a follow-up post, I think I mentioned my definition of "deep-fry" would be "total immersion". If you're going to quote me, at least read my posts first please.

I did read your post...I quoted you because you said definitive.

Note that in the second line of my post, which you quoted, I agreed with you that total immersion was the proper definition.

Then I guess we'll chalk it up to semantics, but I didn't say "definitive", I asked if it was definitive (enough to answer the OP's question).

Now I'm going bowling...:becky:

..not a huge fan of the definition of DEEP-FRY as that specific definition makes butter braising chicken illegal, but if those are the approved definitions, I can go with them.
Butter braising chicken is NOT deep fat frying unless your immersing the chicken in a vat of 300º+ molten butter. (I don't think the results would be very satisfactory...) Braising is NOT frying.

would be a lot harder to explain having a demi-water oven in ones cook site though I do believe......if you want a clean explination of the rules, as written, write the board member who is on the rules committee and ask them....I am sure that you will get a clear definition of the rules....

That's the reason I started this whole thread Rob, I've listened into the KCBS Meetings several times and read thru numerous threads on this board and others. At no time has there ever been a consensus on what constitutes each method. With each method there are "legal" cooking methods used all over KCBS which could be argued to be illegal... and are argued as such all the time.
Everybody thinks they know the definition of each... and in their own minds, they are right. Problem is..as written they leave a lot to interpretation.

Glad you mentioned the water cooker though.. been wanting one of those for the house :-D

So, some thing butter bath is deep frying, others don't

Could butter bath be consider par-boiling? Doesn't say it has to be water to boil and butter in a hot smoker is boiling isn't it?

Someone just email KCBS, ask for a determination if Butter bath is illegal in THEIR option. They have to tell the reps what and why this was written.

Before people get too crazy with tangents...

Deep frying requires pure fat...period.

Butter and squeezable margarines contain both fat and water components, as well as solids. Unless you are using clarified butter, you can't really fry in it. Then there's the temperature range and submerssion to consider.

And yes, parboiling has to be water (or water based). You cannot boil oil. Placing something in hot oil is frying. Warm oil (or water) is [FONT=&quot][/FONT]poaching.

dmp

hehehe...never thought of this

So I can take a butter bath, put my ribs in there to cook, and then grill 'em how I want...and its not par boiling hmmmm

I put that out there for two reasons.
1. To see what other folks thought the rule meant.
2. To pass some time in an otherwise down part of the bbq season.

Here is my take on the rules

1. Deep Frying:
Deep frying comes into play anytime something is being cooked fully submerged in oil. Temperature doesn't matter because the definition of frying does not include a temperature, but is simply "cooking in oil". It must be fully submerged because of the unfortunate word "deep". Pan frying is not illegal per the current rules.

2. Parboiling
Parboiling is the boiling of raw meat in any liquid to a state short of done. In order to be illegal, the meat must go in uncooked, come out somewhere less then fully cooked and the liquid must boil. If raw chicken is placed in a pan with any liquid, butter included, and the liquid boils.. and the chicken comes out to complete cooking somewhere else, it's illegal. I would find it extremely difficult to believe a pan of liquid in a cooker 250 degrees or higher would not boil if left in there for any period of time.

3. Sous-vide
Sous-vide is the cooking of raw meat in a sealed plastic bag at a lower temperature (usually in the 135-160 range) until the food comes up to your desired temperature and is usually held there for an extended period of time (but not always).

Just my opinion and opinions are like you know what...everybody's got one.

I was taught in culinary school that cooking anything in a liquid over 180 degrees is braising. And to deep fry is fat over 300 degrees. If you make duck confit you simmer the duck legs and thighs in its own fat for two hours. The reason I say this is in my opinion cooking chicken in the same manner might taste great but isn't necessarily bbq'ing. Your braising. But until kcbs makes braising illegal go for it.

My understanding is that braising is specifically a wet cooking method that involves liquid and a tightly closed environment. Essentially the Texas crutch is braising. Fats below frying temperature is something else, especially if uncovered.

dmp

Back