Sauce/Glazing Brushes

Exe-que-tioner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Some time ago I saw a thread on sauce/glazing brushes. We have been using your typical rubber-stranded brush that you can buy pretty much anywhere, and have not had any luck at times from reducing brush marks. I know that a lot of factors figure into the equation as far as sauce temps., thinness or thickness will fall into play here. We only brush two meats before the final presentation - brisket & ribs. Looking for a good touch-up brush for all meats.
The thread that I remember, I believe, talked about using brushes from an artist supply store, similar to what artistic painters use.? Any input would be helpful as we prepare for next year. Thanks.

I mix of several different paint brushes from Home Depot, Lowe's or local hardware store will work. Pay a bit extra to get ones with good bristles and/or better binding to the metal housing so you don't have to deal with lost strands on your turn in meats during crunch time. Wash them thoroughly after use and they'll be as good as new next time.

Laugh if you will, but I have 2 brushes i bought from "Williams-Sanoma in the mall" about 4 years ago, when i first started BBQ competitions.. spent like $8 each.. They have always been in great shape and never lost a hair. Best $8 I've ever spent !

i've also have some paint brushes from Lowe's and craft stores for touch-up.

I havehad good success with a silicon brush that I have but plan on getting the little touch up brushes that Vinny mentioned

Laugh if you will, but I have 2 brushes i bought from "Williams-Sanoma in the mall" about 4 years ago, when i first started BBQ competitions.. spent like $8 each.. They have always been in great shape and never lost a hair. Best $8 I've ever spent !

I always browse thru W-S at Christmas time an never buy anything. This year I'll be buying some brushes! :lol:

I like the silicon brushes for home use and if you take your time you can give the sauce a corn roll effect. Chicks dig it.

I've always found the large bristles on the silicon brushes will leave marks, especially with a thick or sugary sauce. If that's a combination you are using, try going back over with a spray bottle loaded with hot water set on fine mist. The additional moisture and heat will help melt the brush marks away.

Thanks for all the tips. I will be sure to stock up on some new brushes before the '09 season!

Back