Pork Butt & Propane...I Need Some Brethren Help!

gmag

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok guys, I need some help...

I'm on vacation hundreds of miles from home. I've been asked to smoke a 10lb Boston butt this weekend. The problem is that my host only has a propane grill and a small wood chip box. What do I do?!

Turn one burner on low and place the meat on the other end, elevated in a pan if possible (foil pan and ring of crumpled foil will work). See what kind of temps you get before putting the meat on. If they are high then cover with foil partway through to prevent charring.

Turn one burner on low and place the meat on the other end, elevated in a pan if possible (foil pan and ring of crumpled foil will work). See what kind of temps you get before putting the meat on. If they are high then cover with foil partway through to prevent charring.

I think it will turn out great if done this way...heat, moisture, smoke.....I bet it will be fine.....

Place them close enough to the heat source that they will smoke. I've never used a box to smoke with but I have put wood chips in aluminum foil and put them directly on the coals while grilling. I'm assuming this will translate to what you are doing just fine. Then when the meat absorbed enough smoke and has a good bark I'd move it to the oven. Just me though cause this smokin on the propane grill would be outside my comfort zone.

Last edited:
season with a paste of liquid smoke and Hawaiian sea salt , wrap in plastic wrap and foil , fridge for 24 hours , remove plastic wrap , re-foil and cook in oven at 200-250 till almost done , finish on grill

I prefer foil bombs to wood chip box. My setup on foreign grills...

Remove one grate, that is where the heat will be.

Preheat grill, get to a temperature around 275F, almost all gas grills can do this easily.

Place meat on remaining grate, offset from heat.

Place foil bomb on radiant source directly over heat.

Close lid, monitor pit temperature. There will be some smoke initially that looks unsightly, do not worry, gas grills vent very well.

Cook as normal, until the meat is done, foiling works great on gas grills too.

To make foil bombs that work great, layout foil and place 2 cups of DRY chips in the center. Fold up sides, gift fold, fold up ends to be airtight. Punch 2 small holes in top of foil, about 1/2" long, not wide at all, almost like poking the tip of a knife in. All you need, but, you need 5 to 6 of these. Use one every 30 minutes. Just toss a new one in.

Mini wsm not too expensive and can never have enough of them one of my favorite smokers

I prefer foil bombs to wood chip box. My setup on foreign grills...

Remove one grate, that is where the heat will be.

Preheat grill, get to a temperature around 275F, almost all gas grills can do this easily.

Place meat on remaining grate, offset from heat.

Place foil bomb on radiant source directly over heat.

Close lid, monitor pit temperature. There will be some smoke initially that looks unsightly, do not worry, gas grills vent very well.

Cook as normal, until the meat is done, foiling works great on gas grills too.

To make foil bombs that work great, layout foil and place 2 cups of DRY chips in the center. Fold up sides, gift fold, fold up ends to be airtight. Punch 2 small holes in top of foil, about 1/2" long, not wide at all, almost like poking the tip of a knife in. All you need, but, you need 5 to 6 of these. Use one every 30 minutes. Just toss a new one in.

This. Works for beer-can chickens, too.

Place them close enough to the heat source that they will smoke. I've never used a box to smoke with but I have put wood chips in aluminum foil and put them directly on the coals while grilling. I'm assuming this will translate to what you are doing just fine. Then when the meat absorbed enough smoke and has a good bark I'd move it to the oven. Just me though cause this smokin on the propane grill would be outside my comfort zone.

I was gonna say the same. Plus you don't want to run out of gas. I also liked the idea of finding a smokey joe or another cheap kettle.

Simple answer>> "Sorry_______________ I don't cook on other peoples equipment" "You wouldn't want me sleeping with your wife now would ya?"

I would rather try a whole butt indirect on a big gasser than direct on a little bitty smoky joe burger cooker-sounds like a good way to burn it. Why does everybody hate on gas grills without reason so much here? I'm a die-hard live fire cooker and smoker, I own about a dozen charcoal/wood burning grills, smokers, and cookers, up to a whole-hog-sized stickburning trailer pit; but I have also cooked a lot of delicious food on a gas grill, nothing wrong with it. If it tastes good, I don't care what it was cooked on. Gassers have their uses, and it's a load of crap that you can't cook good food on them if you know what you're doing.

I appreciate all of the feedback. I am cooking this thing Monday and I will definitely let you know how it turns out (hopefully with pron too). Thank you everyone!

It'll work just fine. I've done it on my gasser before. I just put a crappy old cookie sheet on the lava rock grate(below the cooking grate), sprinkled a layer of wood chips on there, set the heat to low and smoked away. The cookie sheet acts as a diffuser and the chips smoke throughout the cook. The meat was right above the cookie sheet. I was actually suprised how well the setup worked, though I still prefer real fire and smoke:wink: Good luck!

Back