• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Charcos Coconut Shell Briquettes Test Cook #1

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A few of us Mossbacks in the Seattle area are doing a group buy on a pallet of Charcos Coconut shell briquettes, and I've been procrastinating getting around to do a test cook, so Super Bowl Sunday was the big day!

This is how they are packaged

IMG_5963.jpg

I weighed out @ 4 lbs. of the briqs.

IMG_5966.jpg

Took @ 1 lb. and used a Chimney and 3 BGE fire starters per the Charcos website video.

IMG_5967.jpg

IMG_5968.jpg

Took @ 8-10 minutes to completely light.

IMG_5969.jpg

Added the remaining 3 lbs. to a clean base and firebox of a Large Big Green Egg.

IMG_5965.jpg

IMG_5970.jpg

Minion style burn

IMG_5971.jpg

4 Cherry chunks for smoke

IMG_5972.jpg

2 Pork Loin Back ribs liberally seasoned with Smokie Okie's Okie Dust

IMG_5973.jpg

Guru assisted @ 30 minutes to reach 275* grate temp.

IMG_5974.jpg

3 hours in Apple juice spritz

IMG_5982.jpg

4 hours in, applied glaze
IMG_5981.jpg

Still rockin' steady Left Hand Smoke style!

IMG_5977.jpg

Pulled and rested at 4.5 hours

IMG_5991.jpg

IMG_5992.jpg

IMG_5995.jpg

Nice smoke ring, moist with a slight pull off the bone very competition worthy if I do say so!

IMG_5994.jpg

I shut the Egg down at 5.5 hours and there were @ a dozen briqs left. I want to see how much is reusable and how much ash was produced, but all in all this was a great show of how little charcoal was needed to maintain a cook.

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

A couple of the Seattle guys gave gotten 6+ hours on 3 lbs of Charcos at 225* http://www.charcos.biz/

See what the Naked Whiz has to say about the Charcos Coconut shell briquettes: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag96.htm

I am not affiliated with Charcos or a blogger given the product to review, just sharing my observations on using a different fuel type. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Great thread! I've always wanted to try these, but can't seem to find them around me and shipping is pricey. Thanks.

They look great!!!
BGE 475. Right? The whole cook?
Sure wish I could have tried one!!!

That looks awesome! I've never seen those around before in my area but those would be great for my portables.

I got a box of those - I really like 'em. I keep forgetting I have them so I rarely use them. :rolleyes: One thing that's really cool about 'em is how compact they are for storage - it's just a little box instead of a big ole bag. If I remember correctly, they're kinda pricey but a very good product nevertheless. A good thing to have in the arsenal for sure!

What do you pay for 10kgs on your side Swamp?

$24 for a (22 lb) 10Kg. box when you could buy it locally.

I ordered a (6.6 lb) 3Kg. box from Amazon during the Holidaze for $16.99 with free shipping.

A'ight,over here it's 19,80 euro's ($26,80).
Yeah they are expensive but also better than alot of orthers out there.
I think you're one of the first I've seen to use it in an Egg.

A'ight,over here it's 19,80 euro's ($26,80).
Yeah they are expensive but also better than alot of orthers out there.
I think you're one of the first I've seen to use it in an Egg.

I looked at the link for EcoBrasa and was wondering about the firing method dsscribed here: http://ecobrasa.com/

Are you seeing people using charcoal grates or a "slit free" or flat surface? I'm guessing they would be mostly grilling like that?

Many say that they don't like the "smell" from traditional briquettes and that is a factor for many. How would you compare just the basic smell/smoke given off by these vs. traditional briquettes like, KF, etc?

to be blunt, i like to learn of other good charcoal just as much as the other guy but i'm usually just plain put in the who cares zone when stuff is just plain near impossible to find or get. i just don't get it. what are the manufacturers thinking ?
i know there are a lot of issues but i really don't care. if i can't get it, whats the point ?? loved the writeup though.

Nice job, Brian!

Any idea what a 10kg box will cost when bought by the pallet?

$21.60 for the 10Kg box at the pallet price. 99 boxes per pallet, free shipping.

10% Off + Free Shipping to all shipping destination within the US, except Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and US Territories.

This limited time offer applies only for a pallet order minimum (99 cases @ 10 kg)

Back