beef rib roast

SmokeyBear

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I bought a small beef rib roast today. The net weight is only 2.19 pounds, and it appears to only have one rib. I haven't quite decided how to cook it yet. I'm thinking that I'll either smoke it until done or that I'll smoke it for a while, let it rest, then slice it into a couple of steaks and grill the rest of the way. A nearby steak house does something similar to the latter with prime rib, and it turns out very well.

I'd appreciate any tips or pointers.

One thing to note, both my wife and I like beef in the medium well range. Neither one of us likes it with blood still running out of it.

Wife is in same mode. I would smoke to 140 slice and grill to liking. Best of both worlds.

attachment.php

Thats what I smoked at the weekend, the leftovers made a great Smoked Beef, Guinness & Cheese Pie (recipe to be posted soon!)

I bought a small beef rib roast today.

I just rubbed it with Spicewines Heffer Rub and smoked it at 225ish until a probe slid into it with a little resistance, temp as above (140)

What temp did you take it to? I would pull mine at around 120-125 since I like mine a bit rare. There's also going to be some carryover.

I have a 4 bone roast which my butcher has been aging for me for several weeks. Going to smoke it Thursday, can't wait.

What temp did you take it to? I would pull mine at around 120-125 since I like mine a bit rare. There's also going to be some carryover.

I have a 4 bone roast which my butcher has been aging for me for several weeks. Going to smoke it Thursday, can't wait.

It's getting close to 130* now. I like steaks in the medium well range. I'm thinking of going to 140, resting, slicing into steaks and then tossing the steaks on the grill.

IMG_3061.jpg

I already had the gasser fired up to cook some taters; so, I seared the slices on it. They sure were tasty.

are you saying you smoked that on your bge and then put it on a gasser? :shock:

2 pounds? Thats a steak, not a roast. I'd have grilled it. Cover in salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Make mine medium rare please. Getting hungry.

2 pounds? Thats a steak, not a roast. I'd have grilled it. Cover in salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Make mine medium rare please. Getting hungry.

Other than my not much caring for garlic and outright despising onions along with my preference for medium-well, that don't sound like a half-bad plan for next time. :)

If I do this cook again, I may do thick slices from top to bottom instead of splitting it like I did this time.

Back