Smoke chamber gasket mod

Mark

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm just getting around to doin this after about a decade. As I recall, the original door mod was done using aluminum channel and fiberglass rope. Later, a MOFO described how this could be done with just high temperature silicone based sealant.

I'm going to do a combination of these methods by pop riviting and bonding aluminum channel to the door edge then bonding the fiberglass rope to the channel with high temperature silicone.

Based on my research, Dow Corning 736 had the best properties (up to 600 deg. F.) In case anyone else is interested go to:
http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/details.aspx?prod=01890590&type=PROD for more info. You can also request 2 free samples.

Last edited:
I just requested a sample also. You will have to let us know how the mod goes I have been thinking about doing something similiar.

Hey guy's this is what has worked for me. Go to your local parts store and get high temp engine silicone works great. I just glue the fiber glass rope to the door. We did a friend of mine about three years ago and still working great.

You all might already be doing this as well but with my SKD I would wrap the edge of the door in foil and then close it shut. The crimped foil made an airtight seal. After a long smoke you can take the foil all off and throw it away.

A more professional seal would have been very nice but this was a easy and cheap mod.

On my FauxDera, I used oven door gasket material - A deep v channel type that I slipped over the sheet metal of the smoke box where the door closed up against. Didn't use any adhesive, and the gasket holds rather well - EZ mod for $11.25.

Tadpole tape gasket is the stuff to get. I used it on one of my smokers. It what they use on ovens and even smokers. Maybe one of the Brethren that builds smokers can tel you more.

On my FauxDera, I used oven door gasket material - A deep v channel type that I slipped over the sheet metal of the smoke box where the door closed up against. Didn't use any adhesive, and the gasket holds rather well - EZ mod for $11.25.

C Rocke,
Any idea where to get the gasket you were talking about. I would love to avoid using adhesive if I didn't have to. For those of you who have used the silicone, do you have to scrape the paint and get down to bare metal first? Sounds like a lot of work.

C Rocke,
Any idea where to get the gasket you were talking about. I would love to avoid using adhesive if I didn't have to. For those of you who have used the silicone, do you have to scrape the paint and get down to bare metal first? Sounds like a lot of work.

Most appliance parts stores should carry it. I can get it here local @ $12/roll (10 linear feet) if needed and ship it to you as needed. Send me a PM if you need me to pick it up for you.

I googled the term oven door gasket material and came up with nothing that really fit the bill. If it were based on silicone rubber, that wood be better yet.

Beware that if some gasket materials burn they could produce bad $hit like dioxins.

As for Attachment of silicone to a smoker door, yeah it has to be completely clean. A wire wheel in a drill should make quick work of it. Then wipe down with good solvent on a clean rag..

PS:

I can also see some of these techniques modified for home-made UDS applications.

go to your local lumber store and go to the fire place section and get door gasket the have several different sizes and shape you can chose from.

and use the silicone to hold it in place it works great.

Dang never thought about that. Will be heading that way if my fire barrier mode gives up.

Back