Parkay vs Clarified Butter ?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Any thoughts on softened homemade clarified butter versus Parkay?

It seems a lot more healthy to me and potentially more flavorful? It doesn't have any butter solids to cause excessive browning because it's been cooked/filtered out.

I see *tons* of competitors using Parkay and just wondering why they are using it instead of clarified butter.

Clarified butter is so easy to make, I just flop 4 butter sticks into a sauce pan and put it on high stirring constantly until it just finishes off boiling the water and gets to around 220F or so--to just where the milk solids are turning gold. Then I filter it through cheesecloth or a very clean, fragrance free, floursack chef's towel.

I can't offer any comment on Parkay. Never used it.
I stopped using any "margarine" years ago.
I only use buy & use butter & will clarify it when neccassary

Parkay has a taste that cannot be equaled or agrued with. Healty schmelthy......there is a reason all those competitors use it....and I use it too....it tastes good...no great. I have tinkered with many different things in my foiling of ribs and I keep coming back to old Parkay. Don't listen to me though, do a side by side taste test.

I'm not too worried about a little parkay when I'm eating a slab of babybacks.

I use sticks and squeeze depending on the meat. I've been happy with Parkay, but I'd try clarified butter sometime for the heck of it.

Parkay tastes like corn on the cob but its ok I guess. Too bad almost all butters and wanna be butters have no real "butter" flavor anymore and most folks now days wouldn't even know anyways what that was. All that stuff is about 90 % water and chemical flavoring imo. Challenge butter taste like real old time butter just like I remember as a kid, good stuff.

Can't compare it to Parkay because I am not a comp guy. I make clarified butter due to the higher ignition temp if I am searing something (like scallops). The clarified butter does not burn.
Also, when making the clarified butter, I never get it close to boiling. Just heat it till it foams on top. Then spoon off the milk solids, salt and yuk...

Interesting!

I just received my 5lb tub of delicious Plugra clarified butter yesterday and a bottle of good ole parkay in the fridge. I believe a side by side taste test is in order.

Thanks for the idea. I shall return with a full bodied opinion in about a week.

I like butter more than magarine or any other oil based spread. I find that it doesn't get as greasy and also has a cleaner flavor.

The greasy spoon down the road makes the worst cornbread ever. They have a bottle of Parkay on every table.

Pan
Low heat
Stick of real butter
Leave untouched for 30 min
Filter thru cheese cloth.

End of story

Back