BBQ Brethren "Brisket Master" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Brisket Master!"

NOTE: This throwdown starts a day early to accomodate those cooking brisket on the 4th of July!

bigred.jpg

As chosen by boogiesnap for the "Let's Do The Tubesteak Boogie" Throwdown.

:biggrin1:

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

boogiesnap said:
Let's do it baby!

Brisket Master!!!

You can cook from raw, make a pastrami, use a whole packer, a flat only, or a point only, but cook it as it is. No ground brisket allowed.

Ding, Ding. :boxing:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Thursday 7/4 through Sunday 7/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 7/15.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

especially take note of:

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical, confusing, and downright bizarre discussion thread.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
So,
Does anybody know where I can buy a good Brisket in So Cal?
The last one I smoked was from Sams Club and it seems all they sell are small flats. Costco as well.

So,
Does anybody know where I can buy a good Brisket in So Cal?
The last one I smoked was from Sams Club and it seems all they sell are small flats. Costco as well.

Ray,

Smart & Final sells full packers, and at some locations, they are USDA Choice. Check around....

I bought this one from Bristol Farms. The box it was in said choice. :becky:
Its untrimmed. Should I trim it or just smoke it fatcap up?

IMG_6852_zps2f24e28b.jpg

IMG_6849_zpsc8dcc145.jpg

I would get rid of the hard fat and thin the fat cap to 1/4". As far as fat cap up or down, that depends on the cooker. If the heat is below the meat, then I cook fat cap down to shield the meat from the heat.

SF, In my brief 10 brisket clusterFark out of maybe 20-25 attempts, I learned the few extra $ spent make all the difference between prime and choice. I will not do anything but choice now. Of course there are Folks here that could take a leather boot tongue and make it tender.

Looks like a Great cut! Good Luck!

Back