First fundraising cook - thanks to the Brethren

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
My kids' elementary school has a Halloween Carnival every year. The food is normally the standard dogs, burgers and pizza - nothing wrong with that, but I figured it'd be nice to kick things up a notch and bring in some $$ for the PTA in the process.

I joined KCBS and was able to get 100# of butts and a box of 80 meatballs, among other things from Restaurant Depot for a very good price. I invested in a Cambro and a couple chafing dishes as well - I've been wanting these for a while & now I had a good reason for to get them (it's not for me, honey, it's for the kids!)

I did a little lurking around the catering forum as well as in Q-talk (in other words, I actually left WP and brushed up on some cooking tips :shocked:)

I was gonna cook everything the night before and pull at the event, but after approximately 2.5 seconds of thought I realized it was insane to try that for the first time out. So I cooked ahead of time.

Here's 12 butts totaling 100#. Most rubbed with Chris Lily's recipe, some with SM cherry. All injected with Chris Lily's recipe minus half the salt.

rawbutts.jpg

I put 'em in my beloved Klose, burning hickory.

Klose.jpg

ran so the therm read 250, which gives me up to 300, even 325 or so towards the firebox, so I rotated.

cooking.jpg

The cook went into the night.

firebox.jpg

I was running higher temps and the bark was getting a little barky so I foiled. Consequently, the bark wasn't how I liked it so I stuck 'em back in for a while to set it up a little and make it not so mushy.

cooked.jpg

No pix after here - too much dang work going on!

I vacu-sealed all the meat in mostly 3# bags. I made 10 1# bags in case anybody wanted to take a # home from the event. It was somewhere around 46#. I did all this on Sunday for the event on Sat. I rotated the meat through the freezer, one of the main reasons being my fridge space was limited. I kept the 1 pounders frozen so they would help keep things cool in the cooler on the day of the event.

I also made 4x recipe of Kevin's smoked beans and 5x Guerry's vinegar slaw. I need to do 10x slaw recipe next time. :doh:

I wanted some goodness wafting through the air at the event, so I cooked MOINKs on site on an Old Smokey and MUDS. Used SM Sweet & Spicy and Blues Hog cut w/jalapeno jelly and just a little Jolakia powder.

I brought along a 2 eye propane burner and had water boiling and boiled in the bag. This kept the meat nice & moist and if things slowed down, I could slow down and not reheat too much. This turned out not to be an issue. I kept the meat warm in a chafing dish.

I had great help from family & friends. I lost count of the sammiches sold, but it was around 170. Based on what I've read here, it sounds like almost too many sammiches for the amt. of meat I had, but we were pilin' 'em good - I wanted folks to be happy with what they got - and I think they were. The slaw came with the sammich and the beans were extra. I sold out of everything - not a morsel left :clap2:. Nobody had ever heard of MOINKs before and they all went farking nuts over them. I made 80 and need to do double that next year. The whole thing went off like gangbusters and we got a lot of very positive feedback. All of this food moved in a period of 3.5 or 4 hours. Even though it was a lot of work, we had a huge time and raised an arseload of dough for the PTA. I was way pumped at the end of the day and I will be doing this again, I can assure you of that.

The vast majority of techniques, methods, etc. I used to pull this off were things I learned here. I have a little catering/restaurant experience but this place was invaluable in helping the event go off as successfully as it did - you guys farking rock! :clap2:

Chambers (where you been btw? :confused:) - I'm gonna single you out here - once in a while I see threads of yours involving charity cooks and that is largely what inspired me to give this a try. I know a lot of you guys do this on a regular basis, but Dan is the first one I noticed doing this when I got here.

Seriously, you farkers are too cool. This is why when I re-up my subscription in a week or so I'll be moving on to the tequila.

Dad of the the year for you really kickn it up, thanks for sharing:thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Outstanding, it is a lot of work, but, worth it

• Thanks
Congrats on your success. It sure is a good feeling isn't it?

• Thanks
Wow... Very cool gtr!

Sounds like a whole lot of work that was worth every second... Work isn't really work when it's fun and for a good cause. :becky:

• Thanks
Great job :thumb: Bet they will want ya back again next year.

• Thanks
Alcohol Phree tequila I assume?:wink:

Man...you did good Bro!!

• Thanks
Looking great there gtr. Way to bring it for the PTA. :thumb:

• Thanks
Just guessing here but...I assume everyone liked the beans and slaw? :becky:
Makes me feel like I was there in some way, and it's nice to be a co-side with Kevin.:thumb:

Everybody loved the beans and slaw. One woman looked at the slaw before ordering and said "Oh good, it's not mayonnaise slaw, so I'll have some." I do enjoy a mayo slaw, but vinegar is my preferred. I took a couple glances toward the trash can and I can definitely say the clean plate club was well represented. :thumb:

That's what's so cool about this place - people post things, give comments, advice, share successes and failures, and have no idea how that info will manifest out in the world. I'm sure neither you or Kevin thought there'd be a chitload of people loving yer grub out in Californee. Somebody was trying to solve a problem with pulled pork vending at hockey games & that thread is what lead me to attack things the way I did. I could go on & on, but I gotta get my arse back to work!

It was great to have yer slaw with us, but you and Redhot have got to come out this way and actually be here. Do a cross country bbq rampage - what the hell - bring Phubar - he's gotta do it too.

Thanks to all y'all for the kinds words.

Thats awesome. Sounds like all went well and everyone left happy.
I am thinking about getting a freindly BBQ Comp togther within the congregation of our church members open to the general public. Selling BBQ plates and and have drawings for Whole Butts to help raise money for our building fund and local food ministry.
Any recommendations?

• Thanks
Thats awesome. Sounds like all went well and everyone left happy.
I am thinking about getting a freindly BBQ Comp togther within the congregation of our church members open to the general public. Selling BBQ plates and and have drawings for Whole Butts to help raise money for our building fund and local food ministry.
Any recommendations?

My main comment would be to keep things as simple as possible. Don't offer too many different items - focus on a few things and make them as great as you can.

Your situation would be a little different so the cooking process would probably be different as well. Cooking ahead/vac sealing/boiling in bag was perfect for my situation but since you're talking about a comp, y'all would be doing the cooking on site.

I don't know what kind of facilities you have - but keeping cold things cold and hot things hot is key for food safety - I got a cambro and some chafing dishes. This is as big deal - you don't want anyone getting sick. I kept the beans warm in the cambro and served them out of a crock pot. I kept the meat cold in the cooler before reheating it. Luckily I live not too far from the school so I could set up, go grab the food and come back. The catering forum is invaluable for related info - I strongly suggest looking around there.

Also - it's more work than you think it is, but get some family and friends involved and it's actually really fun. I was buzzing at the end of the day :thumb:

Question for someone. If you join KCBS, you can shop at restaurant depot? What do you have to show RD?

Back