• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Time Brisket, Thanks to all PR0N

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I want to start off by thanking all of the Brethren who contibuted thoughts and ideas to me yesterday for this brisket adventure. I started with an 8# CAB flat, seasoned with Montreal, S&P and fridged overnight. Plans were to start this guy at 4:00 am this morning. The additnal nightcaps last night prevented me from making that happen. So onto the UDS at 7:30, over some hickory. I must say that when you put one of these on fat side down, it sure do smoke. Anyway, cooked at 325* and it was probe tender at 1:45 this afternoon. I did foil in broth the last hour as it seemed somewhat dry when I probed it. Let it rest for about and hour then carved. Parts of the brisket shredded and did not carve into nice peices, although one chunk did very nicley. Not sure if I missed my pre cut, perpendicular to the grain or what. As it turned out it was very good. Need to use less Montreal next time, a bit on the salty side and try it at 250* for a longer time. All in all my wife and I were very pleased. The shredded protion will work great for burittos and the slices for sammies. Meat was tender and juicy, more so in some portions than others, and the smoke ring and bark were great. So, on with the PR0N. Ready to cook, three hours in, after the post cook rest and some slice pics. Thanks again for all of the help.

You Folks are the Best. :-D

Last edited:
Wow look at that smoke ring!:clap2:

At the temp you cooked this one at I would say it was more of HH brisket. I wonder if you had foiled at 160* how much quicker it would have been done and if you would have liked the results even better. For your first brisket I am completely jealous. Nice work.:thumb:Vince

Nicely done Bluesman. I too have to watch the seasoning when I am trying something new but.. as you know... bbq-ing is an iterative, time-honored process. Get back in there and.. JUST KEEP DOIN' IT!

Cur Dog

Bluesman: U win the prize for the best first attempt. :thumb:

I have yet to do a briskett, but my brother and I are heading for a showdown... And, briskett is the target of choice. I'm glad u posted ur pics.

Nicely done, sure looks tastey, ....... glad it worked out for you... :-D

MMMMMMMMMMMMM.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :thumb:

Great lookin' cook Bluesman and super pictures. I only wish my second or third brisket had come out as well as your first :p

Back