Haha. We haven't thought of a name yet. We'll have to think it over..all I know is that it's a girl!

Yeah the gloss on our paint is good but we are going to strip it down and do it again. Try to get a smoother coat. Here's what we used. Had Sherwin Williams order it for $97 a gallon. Took these shots just for you!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336415149.697955.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336415177.409953.jpg

That explains it. I went with the higher temp stuff and it was semi flat. I will have to repaint it next year with this stuff. New larger firebox happening too.
Nice job!

What a job well done. I have really enjoyed following this project. BTW, where do you get that moonshine? Is there an online retailer that you know of?

What a job well done. I have really enjoyed following this project. BTW, where do you get that moonshine? Is there an online retailer that you know of?

Thank you. We've enjoyed sharing it!

That moonshine was bought at a local brown derby international wine center. I have about 3 jars of some real Kentucky moonshine. Me and one of my father in law's employees went through a whole jar of it ourselves..definitely tore my stomach up for about 2 days!

Haha. We haven't thought of a name yet. We'll have to think it over..all I know is that it's a girl!

Yeah the gloss on our paint is good but we are going to strip it down and do it again. Try to get a smoother coat. Here's what we used. Had Sherwin Williams order it for $97 a gallon. Took these shots just for you!

View attachment 64290
View attachment 64291

If you're not satisfied with that cooker...I'll gladly come out and pick it up so you can start over from scratch and get the paint right the 1st time!!!:mrgreen:

Seriously though...AWESOME job!!! It came out great...steady temps, great design and all that jazz!!!:clap2::thumb:

Thank you, thank you.

Yeah we were surprised that for the entire cook the temps from end to end only fluctuated by about 4 degrees on average...blew our minds. I want to start making some backyard models..make them look really pretty (and as efficient as this one)..sell them at a more affordable price for those who don't want to throw away 3k on a good cooker..we'll see how it goes though.

Thank you, thank you.

Yeah we were surprised that for the entire cook the temps from end to end only fluctuated by about 4 degrees on average...blew our minds. I want to start making some backyard models..make them look really pretty (and as efficient as this one)..sell them at a more affordable price for those who don't want to throw away 3k on a good cooker..we'll see how it goes though.

I admire the aspiration. Do you have a supply source for steel at wholesale prices?

I do know a few wholesalers. I'm going to do some more research and see what I can come up with on the business end of things. I may apply for an LLC and dive right in! There's a demand for affordable quality! :becky: I think I can wedge my way into the market! It's a pipe dream for now but I will be doing my homework..In the meantime, we'll keep chugging away on this project. I can't wait to finish it.

View attachment 64290
View attachment 64291

How many gallons of paint did you use?

Anyone had any experience with the Flame control paint on a single wall fire box? I am going to give it a shot and see how it preforms. Anything has got to be better than the crapolium 1000 deg stuff. The sherwin williams here ordered me the 850 series in black and it was $67/gallon.

We used one gallon..it covers something like 500 sq ft.

I wouldn't try the 850 series on a single wall firebox. It's rated at 850 but it doesnt make it that far. You'll probably get some flake on the box.

From industrial insulators, guys that insulate boilers and the like. You could probably find someone in the phone book, look under insulation or insulators.

Man.. I've been looking for some of that mineral board... can't find any locally. Was going to put some under the top of my firebox and help save the paint (when it gets there)

Ok... another question.. did you just insulate the sides and top, but not the side where the door is or the one side that is closest to the cooking chamber?

id say the mineral board is easier to use but id go with ceramic wool..its much more heat resistant..the door wasnt double walled and the end by the chamber wasnt either. those ends were not insulated but everything else was.

Actually the guy at that website said the mineral wool was rated to 2200°.. if I get anywhere near that hot with the firebox... I'm in trouble.

Back